Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 8” steel wheel help  (Read 322 times)

teejhanson

• WKC Brave
8” steel wheel help
« on: February 20, 2022, 11:40:56 AM »
I am restoring some 8”metal wheels and one of the wheels is missing the spacer. Has anyone ever encountered this problem and if so, what kind of spacer did you replace it with? Any feedback or insights would be appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: 8” steel wheel help
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 12:33:53 PM »
I am restoring some 8”metal wheels and one of the wheels is missing the spacer. Has anyone ever encountered this problem and if so, what kind of spacer did you replace it with? Any feedback or insights would be appreciated, thanks!

That’s a tough one.  I had a similar issue.  The inner diameter is easy.  It’s the outside diameter that’s a tough match.   I don’t recall the sizes but I remember spending a good while in the hardware aisle at Ace.   I never found an exact match to the outside even using combinations of spacers.  I think I had to cut a spacer down with my dremmel to match the width of the wheel and use a bit of hvac tape to shim it in.  Not elegant but it’s functional.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teejhanson

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 04:32:28 PM »
Thanks Michael. I think I found some on McMaster. I ordered them and will let you know if they work. Do you know if there is anywhere that sells the metal push caps? I found some metal ones but they didn’t really look like the weber ones. Thanks for the advice!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 05:07:58 PM »
Ace hardware has the chrome push caps that are period correct. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk