Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to ship BBQ?  (Read 148 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
How to ship BBQ?
« on: January 18, 2022, 05:36:31 AM »
Has anyone ever shipped BBQ ribs? FedEx? UPS?
How did you do it?
Dry ice?
Overnight shipping?
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

BigEasy

• Smokey Joe
Re: How to ship BBQ?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 06:14:00 AM »
I never have shipped it out. But I get a shipment or two each year from Great Alaska Seafood and just got my Christmas gift shipment from Omaha Steaks and they both do it similar.

Great Alaska uses a styrofoam cooler in a cardboard box and Omaha just used a real robust styrofoam cooler that was shrink wrapped. Both companies use dry ice in plastic bags and ship overnight or second day.

When I was working I routinely over night shipped environmental media samples on wet ice in double bagged garbage bags in your typical Coleman cooler that was taped closed with shipping tape.

If you decide to go with dry ice check with your chosen shipper about restrictions. I dry ice shipped some soil cores on a couple of occasions and recall there was a special form to fill out. At least a special box to check. From your user name you are likely familiar with the DOT/IATA rules to an extent.

I typically used FedEx but every once in a while UPS because a client had a deal with them or I was working for UPS.

Hope that long winded answer helps some
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 06:16:57 AM by BigEasy »

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Re: How to ship BBQ?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 06:32:16 AM »
Yes, thank you! It appears that 5 lbs of dry ice is acceptable. The actual issue that the shipping companies (and airlines) are concerned about is the off-gassing and a potential explosion from the pressure building up.

A friend in another state loves ribs, and asked me to give his parents lessons in the art of BBQ.

My plan is to make some here in Texas, and overnight them to Mississippi.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest