Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber top vent problem  (Read 321 times)

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
Weber top vent problem
« on: September 07, 2021, 04:56:06 PM »
Assembly of my performer deluxe went mostly ok, but the bowl mount holes didn’t quite line up with the frame, and I had to get forceful with the bolts to get it together without stripping any of the threads. After using it a couple times I noticed some metal dust around the lid vent. Sure enough, the wheel was gouging through the porcelain and into steel, as it was out-of-round. Weber is graciously sending me a new lid, and I much appreciate it. But now I’m wondering how common these issues are. The porcelain is thinner than a I would have expected. Anybody else have these kind of issues?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 01:01:12 AM by stillgriller »
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber top vent problem
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 02:49:18 AM »
That happened with my lid on one of my performers. The damper wasn't shaped right. I decided to drill out the rivet and replace the damper with a new one using a bolt. It still isn't as nice/smooth as my other grills but it isn't as bad as before.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 03:49:29 AM »
In my experience, this is quite rare, and Weber will address it quickly under warranty. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 05:57:39 AM »
In my experience, this is quite rare, and Weber will address it quickly under warranty. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My CGA is doing the same, and while anecdotal, it doesn’t appear rare to me.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 06:38:04 AM by stillgriller »

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 10:58:19 AM »
New lid came in, same problem with first 1/8th turn. I give up.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 11:31:21 AM »
I’ve never experienced this myself, but perhaps cook on it a few times to build up a coat of residue between the vent and porcelain. 

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 11:40:36 AM »
I have a red LE 22”, it’s a few years old, and the vent wheel is still as smooth as silk. I conclude that the new manufacture vents are faulty due to cost cutting, engineered obsolescence, or both. Regardless of the reason, I can’t recommend them, as if anyone cares :P
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:42:16 AM by stillgriller »

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 07:17:42 AM »
I tried out a new production Jumbo Joe, and it displayed the same problem as well. If you think about the one-touch system, those blades, which have relatively sharp and rough edges, scrape the bowl back and forth amid ash, grit, drippings…effectively an abrasive paste, with no damage to the bowl. I’ve cooked on my red LE for years without the one touch system wearing through the porcelain coating. I’ve also cooked on my new performer deluxe, which also has the one touch system, and the bowl cleans up to almost as good as new with no damage to the interior finish.

There is something different about how the lids are manufactured that makes the finish so delicate. Regardless of the reason for this, I won’t be recommending new manufacture Weber kettles for the time being.