Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1st Gen Performer SS has assist  (Read 1160 times)

Petros1970

• Happy Cooker
1st Gen Performer SS has assist
« on: September 27, 2020, 03:09:10 AM »
Hello all. I enjoy my 22" kettle but would like some prep area and storage. I found a 1st Gen SS gas assist Performer for sale in nice condition.

Is the gas assist part removable to convert to a non gas assist table and light the traditional way with chimney?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: 1st Gen Performer SS has assist
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 04:42:39 AM »
Yes you could remove the gas assist assembly, but that would leave you with a hole in the side of your bowl.
The gas assist will not interfere with using a chimney in the conventional manner.
Using gas assist and a chimney together is my favorite way to light my Performer:
 set the chimney in the center of the charcoal grate;
fill the chimney with charcoal;
Activate the gas assist for 5 minutes;
Turn off the gas assist and let the coals continue to burn until they are ready.
When the coals are ready dump them into your baskets or spread them however you want to.

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Petros1970

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 05:36:12 AM »
Thanks for your reply. Good point re leaving a hole in the bowl. Not sure that I want the trouble of propane for the ignition so perhaps leaving the assembly intact and not hooking it up might be the best solution?

I also want to use my existing kettle charcoal grate to place over the grate in the performer so the criss cross preserves the smaller pieces of charcoal. Is this possible with the Performer bowl? I can't tell from the pictures.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 06:26:19 AM »
Thanks for your reply. Good point re leaving a hole in the bowl.

I also want to use my existing kettle charcoal grate to place over the grate in the performer so the criss cross preserves the smaller pieces of charcoal. Is this possible with the Performer bowl? I can't tell from the pictures.

Yes, your existing charcoal grate can be placed over the Performer's charcoal grate.  The charcoal grate is the same size and part used on a standard kettle and on a Performer.  They are both 22" with the difference being the Performer bowl has no handles but has side tabs so it can be mounted on the table and has the hole for the gas assist burner tube.  You can remove the gas assist burner tube and easily cover the hole with two larger SS washers, a nut and bolt.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 06:02:13 PM »
Once you light your coals using the gas assist you will not want to do any other way.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Petros1970

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 11:04:19 AM »
One other question: does the charcoal storage keep it dry enough?

Petros1970

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 11:04:43 AM »
Much appreciate all the feedback.

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 04:27:27 AM »
One other question: does the charcoal storage keep it dry enough?
My "new" SSP had cobwebs in the charcoal bin, but not a trace of water when I picked it up, and it was sitting next to a wheelbarrow with 10 cm of water standing in it.  It had obviously been in the guy's yard for a while, since it was parked on bare dirt and had sunken in and gotten splashed with mud when it rained. 

The design of the whole cart keeps water from having a path into the bin, as long as you don't have the lid open in the rain.
2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe