Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle cleaning/maintenance/care  (Read 1173 times)

Bearded

• WKC Brave
Kettle cleaning/maintenance/care
« on: August 31, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »
As many of you know by now, I am brand new to charcoal, smoking, and kettles all at the same time.

With this newness comes questions around cleaning and care.

Outside of cleaning the grill grates before/after each cook and placing a drip pan on the charcoal shelf below the meat, what cleaning do you all do  with every cook?

Here is what sparked the question. After two smokes, I have started to notice a sticky residue on the lid and lip of the kettle. Some of this stickiness has made the lid vent very tough to adjust. Is this a normal byproduct of smoking? Do you clean this off? How often?

Should I do a deeper clean once a year where I scrub down the whole grill?

How do you clean behind the lid vent to remove the sticky build up there?

Any other tips and or advice would be great.

Sorry for all of the questions. I am only two cooks in and am already in love. Now I want to make sure I am taking care of the tool!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Kettle cleaning/maintenance/care
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 01:57:39 PM »
As far as cleaning goes the main thing your want to do is make sure you empty out the ash after a cook so it doesn't draw moisture and turn into an ash cement clogging up your sweeps. 

That greasy residue on the lid and bowl is a good thing.  Think if it as your natural lid gasket. 

Using foil pans, foil, things like the SnS griddle under your food does keep the mess down quite a bit. The one touch system keeps it easy, but in vintage kettles or the Ranch it can save you a lot of headache.  If you want to keep your ash pan clean you can wrap the top with tin foil.

As far as deep cleaning goes most people here just do a deep cleaning when they first buy the kettle because people tend to abuse their kettles and do weird stuff like burn trash in them. 

Use SS hardware, keep your kettles covered (careful how you do it in high humid areas), and just be careful when moving the kettle or removing the lid. 

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 01:59:10 PM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 02:21:39 PM »
Actually I clean them immediately AFTER a cook. The stuff comes off easier when still hot & gushy instead of cold, dried & flaky.
I do use a "cuvey" wooden tool to scrape, & push the ash to the bottom where the wiper blades can catch them. I do that when everything cools down.
Mine came from a set of wok tools I bought years ago, but an old wooden spoon will do the same job.

Bearded

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 02:34:23 PM »
Awesome so I am on the right track with mine.

What about with the lid vent sticking? Any tips on keeping it sliding smoothly?

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 06:06:57 PM »
It shouldn't stick too badly.  Just work it back and forth a bit and it should be fine. Worst case scenario if it is really gummy you can use some fishing string to work it loose after the lid has been warm.
Awesome so I am on the right track with mine.

What about with the lid vent sticking? Any tips on keeping it sliding smoothly?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 04:10:28 AM »
Clean your grill ? LOL I suck at keeping any of mine clean
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 05:19:19 PM »
The carbon deposits in the lid and vent are good things....makes for a better sealed kettle.  No need to spend a lot of time cleaning.  Three things come to mind tho.  Sometimes excessive carbon deposits get on the inside of the lid and looks like peeling/chipping paint.  It's good to knock those off from time to time, before they flake too much and fall on your food.  Also, once in a while it's good to take care of the ash deposits that your sweeps can't reach.  Also, if there is grease ash mix in the bowl, scrape it out with a plastic spatula.  But not much else needs to be done....unless you have a need for an always shiny kettle.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;