Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow n Sear Sale  (Read 3597 times)

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
Re: Slow n Sear Sale
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2019, 12:08:45 PM »
Edited my comment to give Marty proper credit! I have heard someone call it bro n' sear but have no recollection of where. :)
Where did bro n sear mod come from?  I thought it was the Marty bigger better basket mod.

A bigger better basket case http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=28842

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2019, 12:14:54 PM »
Where did bro n sear mod come from?  I thought it was the Marty bigger better basket mod.

A bigger better basket case http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=28842

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I saw this mod on a couple of YouTube channels, and they referred to it as the "bro-n-sear" or the "pac-man basket". Believe me, I never took credit for the idea or the name.  The only thing I did different was add an expanded metal grate bottom so the partially used coals wouldn't slip through the basket when I would shake it to get the ash out (and I'm sure that's not an original idea either).  Happy to give credit to whoever came up with the idea first... although for marketing purposes, bro-n-sear rolls off the tongue better. :)
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
The bigger basket mod is still very awesome.  Especially now that it is the easiest option for the 26er.  Sure you can buy some metal and do something similar, but it's a fair amount of work considering the other option.  If they ever bring back the SnS for the 26er I imagine it will have a wave of orders. 

I was actually sad to find out that they discontinued the Ranch SnS shortly after or before I bought a Ranch. 

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 01:31:23 PM »
Guys   

I was wrong.  My bad.  Sorry.  The original was 304 a few years ago. 

Reply from sns:

Hey there! It is now 430 stainless steel. It has a slightly higher melting point and less warping due to high heat than the original 304.  The warranty has not changed nor has the expected lifespan of the product. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CurtP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2019, 02:46:30 PM »
SnS has everything made in China now, so I wouldn't be surprised if these are Chinese too.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2019, 04:45:05 PM »
I was actually sad to find out that they discontinued the Ranch SnS shortly after or before I bought a Ranch.

I'm bummed they stopped making the low profile SNS... would love one for my WSC.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2019, 06:17:57 AM »
Do you know anyone who does some metal work? You might be able to get them to shave an inch or two off the existing model to make it clear.   The sizing won't be perfect but at least it will fit under the grate.   The no weld design of the 2.0 should be pretty easy to trim.  The water reservoir might be trickier since it is a solid welded piece. 

I'm bummed they stopped making the low profile SNS... would love one for my WSC.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2019, 08:55:53 AM »
I am with you captjoe06 .  I tried a little while ago to get an XL.  I wish this were not discoed.  Would love to have one for my 26er. 
Did they discontinue the slow n sear XL?  Can't find I to place an order.  I clicked on the link through WKC to get them a few sheckles but nothing came up.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

BAArteaga

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2019, 03:01:07 PM »
Nice, just picked one up. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2019, 03:05:59 PM »
Mine just got delivered today.
Doing a  test run tomorrow on the 26 with three slabs of baby backs from the butcher.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2019, 10:32:50 AM »
Test run [emoji241]

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2019, 03:06:14 PM »
Works pretty well.
Not sure if I would try a brisket with it.
Almost 6hrs burn time with Stubb's charcoal running around 275°F at the grate.
That was the last bag of Stubb's in the stash.
Next run will be Weber coals.

This was the 22" Slow and sear 1.0 on a modern 26" and the air temperature was around 40°F

« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 04:14:58 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2019, 04:16:29 PM »
What about it might prevent you from doing a brisket? Not questioning your judgement, just curious because I have yet to do a brisket and I'm getting a SnS 2.0 from my wife for Christmas, and was hoping for it to help me with the brisket. Hoping to use Rockwood lump in mine for both low n slow and hot n fast cooks (though my low n slow cooks are usually up in the 275-325* range)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2019, 04:16:51 PM »
Works pretty well.
Not sure if I would try a brisket with it.
Almost 6hrs burn time with Stubb's charcoal running around 275°F at the grate.
That was the last bag of Stubb's in the stash.
Next run will be Weber coals.

This was the 22" Slow and sear 1.0 on a modern 26" and the air temperature was around 40°F

... rake the ash and coal before it gets that low top load more fuel plenty more hours of cook time. If you flip your grate up over the sns you can over stack fuel that will feed into the burn as well. Grate first cook

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 04:19:48 PM by inkaddictedchef1 »

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2019, 05:50:24 PM »
Kevin, no offense taken.  I normally just set up a giant snake that wraps 3/4 of the way around the 26" for doing brisket.
With Weber coals and pecan or oak chunks I can easily run around 16hrs or longer at 230-250 with minimal vent adjustment if any at all.
I used to use my 18"Wsm for brisket and that would run even longer, but since acquiring this 26" from michaelmillitello in a trade I have yet to do my briskets any other way.

Thanks Chef, I am sure that I could have raked the coals to the one side and replenished the coals and continued cooking if I needed to.
I probably could have stacked them higher also, it wasn't completely full up to the grate.
But it did run well with hardly any adjustment and had water all the way until the end of the cook.
I mainly picked it up to protect the porcelain on the vintage colored kettles but did not want to wait until spring to try it out.
All the vintage kettles are packed away for the winter.
Thank you for the compliment on the cook.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere