Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to clean baked-on grease from outside of bowl?  (Read 1602 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
How to clean baked-on grease from outside of bowl?
« on: June 10, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
I can't fathom a way to soak the outside of the bowl, which is what usually is recommended for various oven cleaners, ammonia or whatever else is needed to dissolve baked-on grease.

This stuff is so thin you can hardly feel it but it really stands out against a light-colored (lime green) bowl. Any tips for a n00b are appreciated, thanks.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
Re: How to clean baked-on grease from outside of bowl?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »
OOOO steel wool is the way to go. I use a little Barkeeper's Friend with it, preferably the powdered kind and a little warm water. The first time I used OOOO steel wool I was a little worried about scratching, but the porcelain is very durable to abrasion (less so to abrupt impact).

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »
Recently picked up some 0000 steel wool thanks to this forum's brain trust but wasn't clear it was OK to use on the paint.

Don't have Bar Keeper's Friend at the moment, would something else like Comet or Soft Scrub be safe or effective?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 05:25:02 PM »
I heartily second the 0000 steel wool, but I'd be really careful about abrasives that might be in powdered cleaners like BarKeepers friend.  I think I remember a tale of woe once from a person who used abrasives on the outside of their bowl and it got all hazy. 

I know you can use oven cleaner on the outside of the bowl, though.  Just try to keep it away from any vent covers, as it will be hard to get off of them (lots and lots of scrubbing with 0000 to follow).  If you want to cover the surface, you could put the whole lid or bowl into a construction-sized trash bag, tie it off, and set it in the sun for a couple of hours to work.  Or if it's on a smaller-sized surface, you might be able to cover it with a smaller trash bag to keep it moist.  In any case, make sure you take off handles and anything else before you bring out the oven cleaner.

I've also had some luck soaking a whole lid and bowl (nestled inside one another) in one of those big rubbermaid storage containers.  I haven't used this in conjunction with oven cleaner, however. 
One of the charcoal people.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 05:26:05 PM »
Sorry, just saw your recent comment.  I'd be even more hesitant about using Comet or Softscrub, which are even more abrasive that BKF. 
One of the charcoal people.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »
OOOO steel wool is the way to go. I use a little Barkeeper's Friend with it, preferably the powdered kind and a little warm water. The first time I used OOOO steel wool I was a little worried about scratching, but the porcelain is very durable to abrasion (less so to abrupt impact).
I used this method for my redhead restoration:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-'k'-redhead-restoration/

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 05:49:44 PM »
Well there's no denying the outcome there. If I use 0000 with a (mild) cleaner I'll try on a small area first. Otherwise I'll take it all apart and stuff it into a trash bag.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »
Well there's no denying the outcome there. If I use 0000 with a (mild) cleaner I'll try on a small area first. Otherwise I'll take it all apart and stuff it into a trash bag.

You could always try it on the inside first. I believe the porcelain is the same, inside & out (obviously the color may be different).