Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I may need a two rivet handle  (Read 5939 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: I may need a two rivet handle
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »
That's a great find, G, and a great story.  After reading it, I am proud to count myself as one of the charcoal people. 
One of the charcoal people.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »
G$, what are you using to remove the smoke gunk?  I used a combination of 0000 steel wool, greased lightning cleaner/degreaser and a big bucket of elbow grease to clean mine...

Oven cleaner and a plastic scraper.  Finished off with a 'magic eraser'.

I have found that steel wool is not stout enough for the thick gunk on the inside of lids and bowls of old kettles.  One dose of oven cleaner and minor scraping cleaned the bowl.  Not much elbow grease needed.

On the other hand, the lid is going to take two doses of oven cleaner it looks like.  And plenty of elbow grease.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 09:15:46 PM »

There's the two rivet handle!  Of course, I forgot to put the screw cover things in before taking pictures....

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 09:17:01 PM »
Heck, why not continue the trend and forget to put the ash catcher on too!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 09:18:40 PM »
This is the original grill grate (and charcoal grate).  Honest to god I scrubbed and scrubbed this thing. I just can not get it cleaner.

It is cleaner than it looks, but unless I can get it cleaner, I probably will not cook on it.  I will probably give it one more try at the vinegar and soda bath.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 09:21:16 PM »
Here it is with the twist pan after I brought it in.  Not as nice of a photo.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »
Looks Great!!! Nice white walls too. Those the original metal wheels cleaned up or did you refurb and paint? Doesn't matter, as that is awesome. Use the Duke method on the grate or Brians potion he used on his rusty wheels. Hank,(?) I believe throws grates in a Bonfire to clean them up.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 09:46:50 PM »
Greg, all i did to clean the wheels was spray WD-40 on them and wipe them off with a paper towel.  They are immaculate. So easy! I am not exagerating to say i spent one minute on them.

I wish i could say the same for the grill grate and ash catcher. I cleaned and polished the ash catcher a lot. It IS nice and clean now, but i did something to the finish and it is a bit uneven now.  I am fine with it, as the catcher is mostly clean and mostly shiny at least....

The legs shined up well enough, and although dinged up, the lid and bowl cleaned up well.  The triangle looks pretty darn good for a 45 year old piece of equipment. Originally, I planned to throw new legs and a new triangle on, but just felt they would look out of place, and since so much of this grill is original, I decided to keep them and I am glad I did.

But that dang cooking grate has beaten me.  And it is soooo thick and nice, I really want to get it sparkling.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:49:37 PM by G$ »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 09:48:53 PM »

That's extra nice !!!

The bowl looks really sharp, almost NEW & the lid is not far behind, only a few battle scars....

The color looks really great, nice cleanup !!

Are there ANY chips in the bowl?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 09:53:31 PM »
Greg, all i did to clean the wheels was spray WD-40 on them and wipe them off with a paper towel.  They are immaculate. So easy! I am not exagerating to say i spent one minute on them.

I wish i could say the same for the grill grate and ash catcher. I cleaned and polished the ash catcher a lot. It IS nice and clean now, but i did something to the finish and it is a bit uneven now.  I am fine with it, as the catcher is mostly clean and mostly shiny at least....

The legs shined up well enough, and although dinged up, the lid and bowl cleaned up well.  The triangle looks pretty darn good for a 45 year old piece of equipment. Originally, I planned to throw new legs and a new triangle on, but just felt they would look out of place, and since so much of this grill is original, I decided to keep them and I am glad I did.

But that dang cooking great has beaten me.  And it is soooo thick and nice, I really want to get it sparkling.

I have learned from Shaun, that is the old style grate and they are Awesome(Heavy Duty). Did you try my method on the pan? Yes, HCL is harmful, but gloves and an SOS pad does wonders to a pan. Glad your staying original, I do with mine.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 09:55:07 PM »
Buckie, I found two small chips in the bowl unfortunately.  They are of a relatively new vintage, and smaller than tic tac sized.  Nothing like the true scars located at several spots on the lid.

I really wish this Mediterranean were in better shape, but when I see something like this I can not pass it up.  I am not pretending to have a pristine condition specimen, but I know we all appreciate it as if it were !

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 09:58:07 PM »
Yeah Greg, I use HCL and SOS on the pans as well.  Followed that up with Mothers.  It looks pretty nice, just a bit uneven.  I will snap a pan photo tomorrow when the photographer is awake - it looks a little better in person than in that iPhone pic.

Craig

• WKC Mod
I may need a two rivet handle
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 05:29:34 AM »
G$, that 'Cado Caribbean looks happy happy happy from its bath and new handle. I love the dark wood against the avocado color. I'm having the same grate dilemma on my Warrior.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 05:39:59 AM »
Buckie, I found two small chips in the bowl unfortunately.  They are of a relatively new vintage, and smaller than tic tac sized.  Nothing like the true scars located at several spots on the lid.

I really wish this Mediterranean were in better shape, but when I see something like this I can not pass it up.  I am not pretending to have a pristine condition specimen, but I know we all appreciate it as if it were !

But generally the thing looks great, really great !!!

I somehow just wish porcelain wouldn't chip.....am I alone in this pipe dream?

PS: thanks for the handle shots, gives me some idea what to do w/ the Sequoia....dark, but not too dark..... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 07:05:39 AM »
G$, that 'Cado Caribbean looks happy happy happy from its bath and new handle. I love the dark wood against the avocado color. I'm having the same grate dilemma on my Warrior.

I must have gotten med and carib mixed up.  I thought the med was the 22 and now I can't find that catalog.

Typically, I actually prefer lightly stained oak with most colors, but I absolutely love the dark walnut with the avacado color. It goes together perfectly. Many thanks to Brian of course.