Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: gas assist and chimneys  (Read 2741 times)

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
gas assist and chimneys
« on: May 31, 2013, 05:21:32 AM »
I have a couple performers with gas assist, one a 95 and the other a 2005. On both, the burners put out a really nice flame and the tubes are clean and clear. If I had charcoal in the baskets or laying on the grill grates, the flame would light it up in a second. However, I took my Weber chimney this morning and placed it over the flame, and to my surprise, the flame barely reached up to the charcoal carrying section of the chimney.

have any of you ever had problems lighting the charcoal in this manner? Or should I still fill the bottom of the chimney with some paper and use the gas assist to light it and get things going faster? I ask because I'm going to be using the gas assist to light coals for several different grills that we are using for a picnic next Friday. The performers are still new to me, so I haven't had a chance to cook on them yet.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: gas assist and chimneys
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 05:31:05 AM »
I put my chimney over the GA flame all of the time, and haven't noticed any difference in the time it takes vs. with coal baskets.  My guess is the lack of flame contact means the chimney coals take a little longer to light, but the more efficient airflow of the chimney makes up for it in the end.  When I'm using multiple grills, I keep the Performer empty as long as possible to use as the coal lighter-- just keep lighting up chimneys and carrying them to the other cookers. 
One of the charcoal people.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:31:40 AM »
I just put the chimney on top of the charcoal grate directly over the flame, and it gets lit enough to shut the flame off in a couple minutes.  I used to stuff in a little paper but now find it completely unnecessary.  Maybe if it was an upside down chimney I could see a problem.

Did you give it a few minutes?

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 05:33:42 AM »
The flames done have to reach the charcoal to light 'em up. I use my side burner for the same thing, and it works great. The flames are rather small, but they put out plenty of heat and the charcoal lights up pretty quick. I have a spare NOS side burner I'm planning to mount to a work-table for just this purpose.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 05:34:13 AM »
Good point, jk-- I run the burner for at least 10 minutes while I'm prepping food.  Prolly overkill, but I like fire.
One of the charcoal people.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 05:38:16 AM »
Inside the charcoal chimney there's the cone shaped wire rack the charcoal sits on.  Pop it out and flip it over so the cone in pointed down.  That'll allow the flame to reach the charcoal.  I have 2 chimneys (one came with a grill) and I flipped one over for 2 reasons.  This, and if I only want to light 10 briquets for the mini they fit into the cone better.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 05:44:37 AM »
Inside the charcoal chimney there's the cone shaped wire rack the charcoal sits on.  Pop it out and flip it over so the cone in pointed down.  That'll allow the flame to reach the charcoal.  I have 2 chimneys (one came with a grill) and I flipped one over for 2 reasons.  This, and if I only want to light 10 briquets for the mini they fit into the cone better.

I do the same thing, but what I do when I'm lighting a few coals vs a full load is actually flip the whole chimney over and load it "upside down"....coals where the fire usually is, fire source (starter cubes, newspaper, etc) in the long section.  Works pretty well.

Also, if I want to use gas to ignite a load in the chimney, I use the side burner on my gasser.   

I think the burner in the performer is intended for use with the baskets, not a chimney.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:46:25 AM by bryanw21157 »
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 05:46:04 AM »

Awesome idea!!! I never thought to invert the cone. I'll flip the cone on the nice one I have and leave it the same for the one with the really rusty base so it doesn't fall apart. i know for sure the inverted cone would get a ton of flame and light a whole lot faster.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 06:09:39 AM »

I think the burner in the performer is intended for use with the baskets, not a chimney.

Funny - I've never thought to light the baskets on the Performer. The chimney has always worked great and seems more efficient, but I suppose you would avoid the dumping step.

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 06:22:20 AM »
Marty, that's actually in the directions.  ;D
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 06:28:09 AM »
Directions?!  :o

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 06:32:49 AM »
'
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:47:51 PM by DoppelBock »

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 06:34:12 AM »

Funny - I've never thought to light the baskets on the Performer. The chimney has always worked great and seems more efficient, but I suppose you would avoid the dumping step.

The dumping step is the best part!  Woo Fire.