Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to transport a Ranch?  (Read 1186 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
How to transport a Ranch?
« on: August 26, 2018, 12:29:21 PM »
I was wondering if people could provide some advice on how to transport a Ranch in either a truck bed or trailer. It would seem that the charcoal and cooking grates would be a problem. For those who do transport them, what do you do with the grates?  Any other tips?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: How to transport a Ranch?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 12:34:12 PM »
This is how I hauled mine.. had both grates and a couple chimneys inside. Strapped the lid down to the bowl and then strapped it into the truck.

CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MDiBar

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 12:40:53 PM »
I put mine in the back of my truck and strap it in.  I also put a bungee cord on the lid.  Not that hard.

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
How to transport a Ranch?
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 01:08:50 PM »
Bed of a truck.  It’s manageable to move by yourself.  One to two straps to hold it down.  Another for the lid but not super tight.  Grates on cardboard and ash pan in the passenger compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 01:45:35 PM »
The Mothership fits perfectly in the back of a Yukon if anyone is wondering [emoji106]

Sent from my VS987 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jmiester

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 04:06:13 PM »
Or it will fit in a GMC Acadia, roll it in without the cover, put the cover in the back seat wrapped in light towels or a bedsheet just to keep the car from getting dirty. Jay

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 08:59:09 PM »
The Mothership fits perfectly in the back of a Yukon if anyone is wondering [emoji106]

Sent from my VS987 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

It fits in a 2000-2006 Yukon standing up. You'll need to load it in without the lid but I believe the lid will slide on top once the bowl/frame are loaded.

I've fit one in the back of a 1999-2006 BMW X5 disassembled but without putting the back row seats down. I nested the the bowl and lid and angled them onto the rear row headrests.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 05:11:00 AM »
This thread offends me as I do not have a Ranch
...yet.
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 06:18:02 AM »

This thread offends me as I do not have a Ranch
...yet.

Sorry, but at least now you will know how to get one home when you find it!

CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 08:22:53 AM »
One will go into the back of a 06 Dodge Grand Caravan quite easily and it only takes one person to load it.   Wheel the ranch over to the vehicle so that the rear (big wheels) are closet to it.  Carefully take the lid off and set it down on something other than concrete.   Remove the grill and charcoal grates as well as the ash catcher.    What's let probably only weighs 20lbs or so.   Facing the vehicle, grab a hold at about 9 and 3 o'clock and lift up tilting the grill towards you, lifting the back of the grill up to the deck of the vehicle.   Get the rear wheels on the deck, then move your hands towards the front and lift the front of the grill while rolling everything back into the vehicle.    If vehicle is enclosed, you can put the ash pan back in it's normal place.    While the front of the grill is still close to the back of the vehicle, put the charcoal and grill grates in place.   In my van, the rear opening is smaller than the actual cargo area.  So, push the grill back a bit to where the roof is higher.   Bring lid in at an angle and finesse it until it sits in it's normal position.   Lock the front casters.     I don't have any tie down positions in the back of the van, so I just kind of fill some space between the legs and the sides to keep it from rolling around (which it will do even with locked casters).

Kind of a wordy response that might seem time consuming, but it ends up only taking about 5 mins to load or unload, and again, only one person needed.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 10:06:41 AM »
After removing the lid, have someone help you carry it sideways down the aisle.  Go back & get lid.

Alternatively, bring lots of bungee cords & strap it on the bike rack in the front of the bus.
regards,
Hal

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 10:14:39 AM »
Don't really care.
As long as it's transported to ME!

On my bucket list as long as the finance planets line
up when one becomes available.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 05:33:26 PM »
I brought mine home in the back of a 2009 Chevy Tahoe.