Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hello from Berwyn, IL  (Read 1560 times)

ChicagoBBQ

• Happy Cooker
Hello from Berwyn, IL
« on: June 26, 2018, 04:31:23 PM »
Hi I'm new to the site. I've always loved casually grilling steaks, chicken, burgers, brats etc. and have wanted to get into more sophisticated grilling and smoking for a long time. I recently moved to a place where I can finally use a charcoal grill (I'm in Berwyn btw, I would imagine there a lot of Chicago folks here), and stumbled onto this site while researching used options to fix up. Its a pretty cool site and I slacked off at work a bit today reading through posts. Look forward to learning more from you guys.

Couple of quick questions:

Is it possible to search the forums here?

Does the difference in dimensions between the Original, Premium, and Master Touch make a significant difference with anything, like maybe with regard to more cubic inches being better for smoking or something along those lines? I think I could pretty easily get a used Original anywhere from free to 30 or 40 bucks but don't see as many used Premium or Master Touch and the deals on those don't seem as great. I am planning on making some after market mods so the feature differences don't seem so important if a larger kettle would be beneficial I would consider going that route.

Thanks and nice to meet you.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Hello from Berwyn, IL
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 04:54:28 PM »
Welcome. There is no difference in size between the grills you mention. Just bells and whistles.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 06:03:02 PM »
Welcome from Delaware Ohio!

If by “larger kettle” you mean the 22? Then I suggest getting a 22. It is the standard size and so many accessories are built for that size. If you start at an 18, you may find yourself getting a 22 as well.

....Nothing wrong with two Weber kettles! (Or 10!)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

ChicagoBBQ

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 06:07:02 PM »
I am confused because the Weber site lists the following dimensions:

Master Touch: 42"H X 24"W X 29.5"D
Premium:       39.5"H X 22.5"W X 27"D
Original:         39.5"H X 22.5"W X 25"D

I am assuming the Height includes the legs and that the Width and Depth measure the kettle. Doesn't look like a huge difference but look at the difference the extra 4 inches on the 26 makes.

Or am I missing something?

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 07:05:15 PM »
I am confused because the Weber site lists the following dimensions:

Master Touch: 42"H X 24"W X 29.5"D
Premium:       39.5"H X 22.5"W X 27"D
Original:         39.5"H X 22.5"W X 25"D

I am assuming the Height includes the legs and that the Width and Depth measure the kettle. Doesn't look like a huge difference but look at the difference the extra 4 inches on the 26 makes.

Or am I missing something?
The master touch has longer legs, making it taller.  It also has a wire lid bale, making it deeper. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 08:06:34 PM »
Welcome from Wisconsin.

ChicagoBBQ

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 08:35:34 PM »

The master touch has longer legs, making it taller.  It also has a wire lid bale, making it deeper. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it. I was thinking depth meant the bottom of the bowl to the height of the rim or inner top of the lid.

Looks like its going to be a used Original for me. Thinking I'll add a slow n sear, and possibly upgrade to a stainless or cast iron grate as the main improvements for now. Probably the ash bucket and lid bale as well.

Thank you for all the welcomes.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 03:59:21 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga. It looks as if you are well on your way
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

FuzzyMan88

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 05:41:16 AM »
Hello and welcome from Northern Kentucky.

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 08:03:33 AM »
Hey there, and welcome from Rockford IL.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, VA.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
Did you say one grill???? Lol just wait .... next thing you know you there will be two,three,four.  It just kinda happens :) but welcome from central Illinois ! There’s a ton to learn from this site , great group of guys and gals here !

ChicagoBBQ

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 07:54:33 AM »
Did you say one grill???? Lol just wait .... next thing you know you there will be two,three,four.  It just kinda happens :) but welcome from central Illinois ! There’s a ton to learn from this site , great group of guys and gals here !

Haha thanks. And indeed, there has already been a change of plans. I was able pick up a smokey Joe in decent shape for free yesterday. Going to clean it up and probably try the tamale steamer smoker mod. This should buy me time birddog the Craigslist for something cool. Hoping for a 26 or something vintage or colored. Saw an 18" converted to portable too i thought was pretty cool too on a thread here.