Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help! Found a great kettle. Don't know the year. New to this!  (Read 2117 times)

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
Re: Help! Found a great kettle. Don't know the year. New to this!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 04:56:56 PM »
Lol, love this. You just made everyone so jealous. That’s a grail find for most of us! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2!!

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 07:10:56 PM »
Quite a find! Welcome to the club!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »
What a debut! You just started your gem collection with a diamond my friend.

Please don’t put paint on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 08:44:49 PM »
   Damn it you hit this one out the park, congrats.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 08:50:26 PM »
Well done sir!  Congrats and I second what Mike said.  PLEASE don’t paint it

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

Clitt1385

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 11:12:07 PM »
Ah well I'll have  to get her all cleaned up and post more pics. Thanks any other restorative tips will be much appreciated

Clitt1385

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 11:14:19 PM »
I promise no paint! I'd like to find some replacement wheels but only original parts. The rubber is cracked.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2018, 06:07:15 AM »
My recommendation, due to the rarity of the color & age, is to not use any steel wool, razor blades, or abrasive cleaners to clean it. Especially if you dont have any experience cleaning a grill with them, you could damage the porcelain. Practice on a few modern, less valuable, grills first.

Soap & water with a brush will remove some of the gunk and give you time to reevaluate what it really needs after that.

Dont get in a big rush to restore it back to new, take your time figuring out how far you what to go with any type or restoration. Its usable in the meantime, and its beautiful as it is.

Additionally, removing or altering any of the parts will detract from its originality and character.

In my opinion there is nothing anyone can do to make the grill more beautiful than it is.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2018, 08:19:45 AM »
No paint and leave those wheels on.  They are not as bad as you think.  Also, what area of the country do live in?  There are several people here that are more than willing to help you out with the restore.
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Cellar2ful

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2018, 09:12:22 AM »
Ah well I'll have  to get her all cleaned up and post more pics. Thanks any other restorative tips will be much appreciated

I would recommend trying to restore the original wheels. You can't find replacement original metal wheels like those. This thread has tips on how to remove the hub caps and wheels and tips on restoring your wheels, triangle and legs. Pages 4,5,6 and 7 of the thread have step by step photos of the restoration.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/196162-ambassador-in-the-wild-(yellow-ochre)/45/

If your hub caps can't be restored,  you can purchase new hub caps. Home Depot carries them online and will ship to your local Home Depot for free. The part number is #800308 (3/8"Nickel push nut)

https://www.homedepot.com/s/?search=800308
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

mtneer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 04:53:04 AM »
Of you weren't new here I'd say that was quite the humble brag post. But either way, excellent score, it's a beautiful kettle.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 10:20:11 AM »
Very nice score.  I almost had one once!  Gives me hope that they are still out there in the wild!
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

Clitt1385

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 06:29:09 AM »
Welcome to the Forum @Clitt1385   Wow. Talk about making a debut.  You just joined the elite Wood Dale club with this purchase. You will see the lid vent has Wood Dale, Ill on it. That is when Weber was based in Wood Dale.  You have a very much sought after kettle there. Congratulations and enjoy.  Hope you stick around. Some really great information and people here. Where you from?

Chino CA

Cellar2ful

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 07:07:48 AM »

Make sure you add a photo of your kettle to the Wood Dale Owners Mob thread.  You will find a couple like yours in this thread.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/wood-dale-owners-mob/
"Chasing Classic Kettles"