Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New 2013 performer won't turn off  (Read 3809 times)

Eric02038

• Smokey Joe
New 2013 performer won't turn off
« on: May 23, 2013, 04:47:02 PM »
Just used my new performer for the first time and 4 hours after cooking on it, the coals are still burning. Temp is 200ish.  Both vents are closed and never had this problem on my old 22.5. After closing both vents I can usually cover it an hour later. Any ideas?

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 04:52:26 PM »
My 2009 performer does this. Get two binder clips and use to seal the lid really good (place opposite). It should cool down fast. The lid and bowl probably don't make a tight fit.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: New 2013 performer won't turn off
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 05:29:55 PM »
Call Weber and tell them the story
I'd be interested to see what they have to say
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:33:58 PM »
Eric, congrats on the new performer! Assuming your vents are all closed and the lid is making a decent seal, make sure that your ash sweeper is assembled in the proper order and reasonably close to the bottom of the bowl. After a few cooks your kettle will build up a layer of and grease that will help it seal and close down. Also try not sweeping the ashes at the bottom until it cooled off. The ash can help to block airflow until your kettle is seasoned.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
Give it some time season and make sure your sweepers are snug to the bottom on the bowl , these can be manipulated to fit properly if there not snug . It's just air getting in from somewhere .
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Eric02038

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »
Eric, congrats on the new performer! Assuming your vents are all closed and the lid is making a decent seal, make sure that your ash sweeper is assembled in the proper order and reasonably close to the bottom of the bowl. After a few cooks your kettle will build up a layer of and grease that will help it seal and close down. Also try not sweeping the ashes at the bottom until it cooled off. The ash can help to block airflow until your kettle is seasoned.

I never had this issue with 22.5 gold. Thing would shut off in no time from day one

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:53:14 PM »
Air can get in through the burner tube.. Thats part of the problem. AJ 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

chriscw81

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 02:14:06 AM »
I have the same problem with my "AA" performer.  It got a little better once I got some grease build up down there.  My sweeper does seem quite a bit looser than my OTG sweeper.  I considered calling Weber, maybe I should....

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Eric02038

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 11:38:58 AM »
I have pin pointed the problem to the lid and bowl.  When the lid is closed, it's very loose and pored water of the hot coals to see where the steam would go…out the seam. Called Weber sounds like they will be sending out new bowl and lid but waiting for a call back to confirm

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 11:45:21 AM »
I have pin pointed the problem to the lid and bowl.  When the lid is closed, it's very loose and pored water of the hot coals to see where the steam would go…out the seam. Called Weber sounds like they will be sending out new bowl and lid but waiting for a call back to confirm

And they will send one , that sucks but it does happen , at least it's not some curbside warranty cooker !
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 05:56:04 PM »
Try slowly turning the lid until it hits a tighter spot and leave it. I have older grills with crooked lids that have to be left in a turned position to shut down.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 06:33:31 PM »
That's a good idea I would never have thought of!
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Eric02038

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 08:27:45 AM »
Give it some time season and make sure your sweepers are snug to the bottom on the bowl , these can be manipulated to fit properly if there not snug . It's just air getting in from somewhere .

Weber just called me back and most everyone in her is right. Weber says that they changed the design and you need to cook with them to build up a seal, so eventually it will seal up. Just kinda stinks that yo to "waste" charcoal by letting it burn out.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »

Weber just called me back and most everyone in her is right. Weber says that they changed the design and you need to cook with them to build up a seal, so eventually it will seal up. Just kinda stinks that yo to "waste" charcoal by letting it burn out.
WTF???? They changed the design  :o
What .... They now make all there kettles out of round? 
If I just bought a new performer and it didn't shut down I wouldn't be happy!
My first performer ,a 2006 black model never shut down , so I sold it and bought a 2005 Sage model and its cold in 30 mins. I'd be calling back and speaking to a different person
Seems to me if you just bought there top of the line model grill it should shut down
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Big B

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 03:41:50 PM »
I'm with Hogsy......that stinks

Brent

Wood Worker by day, Wood Burner...by night!