Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trouble keeping temp down  (Read 1558 times)

bkeaver

• Smokey Joe
Trouble keeping temp down
« on: May 11, 2018, 06:13:19 AM »
I'm in the middle of a pork butt cook in my WSM. My temps in my opinion is on the high side.  I have 2 of the 3 vents shut down and have water in the water pan. Should I be concerned?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Trouble keeping temp down
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 06:21:30 AM »

I'm in the middle of a pork butt cook in my WSM. My temps in my opinion is on the high side.  I have 2 of the 3 vents shut down and have water in the water pan. Should I be concerned?

No. Looks perfect to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bkeaver

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 06:39:37 AM »
Ok just making sure... First butt cook for me. Thanks

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 06:52:19 AM »
I agree - im happy anywhere between 240-285 personally. Im sure 300 is fine, but i try not to go that hot 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkeaver

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 06:55:42 AM »
It's cooking faster than I thought it would. I put it on at 8:45 and it 10:55 now and internal temp is at 121.

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 06:58:58 AM »
It's cooking faster than I thought it would. I put it on at 8:45 and it 10:55 now and internal temp is at 121.

I remember thinking that my first one too - then the stall comes and brings u back to reality lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 07:37:44 AM »

You'll still have a challenge getting it done by dinner time. What you've got is what I did yesterday. 12 hours, but then I was trying to take it to 210 when normally I'd remove it a little earlier.

As it approaches 150 expect it to slow down and then stop for awhile around 160. If you're going to wrap it, do it then and worry less about even higher heat. Mine was wrapped in foil and cooking between 300-400 for a few hours to knock some sense into it.

Mine had a "second stall" around 180 because my pit cooled to about 220. It would have taken a ton more time to reach tenderness-done if I'd continued to nurse the pit along at 220-240.

So long as the first part of the cook happens at lower temps you'll be fine. Cooking at lower temps for the remainder is either a luxury, or better planning (earlier start).

I will concede that one downside to hitting it with higher heat at the end could be some dryer, "almost char" at the bottom of the pan. Sounds worse than reality! I'll gladly accept a little bit of that if it means I can eat same day.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

bkeaver

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 07:50:49 AM »
Yeah I plan on wrapping at 160 then taking to between 195 to 305 somewhere in that range.

bkeaver

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 10:03:13 AM »

You'll still have a challenge getting it done by dinner time. What you've got is what I did yesterday. 12 hours, but then I was trying to take it to 210 when normally I'd remove it a little earlier.

As it approaches 150 expect it to slow down and then stop for awhile around 160. If you're going to wrap it, do it then and worry less about even higher heat. Mine was wrapped in foil and cooking between 300-400 for a few hours to knock some sense into it.

Mine had a "second stall" around 180 because my pit cooled to about 220. It would have taken a ton more time to reach tenderness-done if I'd continued to nurse the pit along at 220-240.

So long as the first part of the cook happens at lower temps you'll be fine. Cooking at lower temps for the remainder is either a luxury, or better planning (earlier start).

I will concede that one downside to hitting it with higher heat at the end could be some dryer, "almost char" at the bottom of the pan. Sounds worse than reality! I'll gladly accept a little bit of that if it means I can eat same day.
Currently it's 2:02 and at 170. I wrapped it at 160. I think it will get done by dinner.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Trouble keeping temp down
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 10:18:43 AM »
Your good and you’ll have plenty of time to rest it.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 12:15:14 PM »
My WSMs seem to like to cook in the 275-290 range with minimal effort.

Don’t be afraid to bump the temp up a little...you won’t hurt it.

Last few cooks I’ve done have been near 300, and the last few butts have been at 325. They were excellent.