Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber 22" rotisserie ring size  (Read 1305 times)

jordan1082

• Happy Cooker
Weber 22" rotisserie ring size
« on: May 10, 2018, 01:43:36 AM »
Hi,

can someone tell me the 22" rotisserie ring height and the distance between the spit rod hole and the upper edge?
I'd like to build one by myself.

Thank you

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Weber 22" rotisserie ring size
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 07:11:28 AM »
Jordan, welcome to WKC.

Here's what I came up with, for my older style (with support tabs) ring. The newer style Weber ring, or the Onlyfire ring, or the Cajun Bandit ring, could be different.

The center of that hole is 1" from the lip and 5/8" diameter. And then drill your motor bracket holes just below that line, as appropriate for your bracket.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 07:14:46 AM »
And I'm seeing 6 1/4" total ring height, although a good 1/2" or so of that sits down into the bowl from the support tabs mine has. I would think anything from about 5" to 7" would be fine.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jordan1082

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 01:48:22 AM »
And I'm seeing 6 1/4" total ring height, although a good 1/2" or so of that sits down into the bowl from the support tabs mine has. I would think anything from about 5" to 7" would be fine.

Thanks a lot.

I started with a 55 gallons barrel "prototype". Total ring height is 9 1/2" and center hole to lip is 2". The spit results 2 1/4" higher. So far it seems to work, but I can't get a crispy skinned chicken. Do you think I can get a better result by shortening the ring?

Thanks

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 03:02:56 AM »
The skin should be tender and maybe a little crispy I don’t recall my rotisserie chickens as being extra crispy. Maybe it’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 03:26:35 AM »
I’m not a skin eater, so have never explored that by any method. I know you need heat and more grease than water vapor on the skin. Folks brine to dry out the skin for example.

I just don’t know if a few inches closer to rotating heat would make a big difference?

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 04:50:15 AM »
If it were me, I'd just go buy one. Less work, and it fits. I have one and it is the bomb... 8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 05:41:06 AM »

Thanks a lot.

I started with a 55 gallons barrel "prototype". Total ring height is 9 1/2" and center hole to lip is 2". The spit results 2 1/4" higher. So far it seems to work, but I can't get a crispy skinned chicken. Do you think I can get a better result by shortening the ring?

Thanks
I struggled with leathery skin recently and the guys here mentioned I should add salt to my rub. But I think the salt helped dry up and tenderize the skin allowing it to be crispy.  I also made sure to cook around 400f. That fixed my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

glend123

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 07:05:53 AM »
There are a lot of different reasons for skin not being crispy
22" yellow kettle, 26" brown kettle, 26" Black kettle, 22" Blue kettle, 22" red performer, 18" smoker, Ranger

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 08:49:57 PM »
Get a Cajun Bandit. You'll thank me later ;)