Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ash pan coating?  (Read 796 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Ash pan coating?
« on: May 08, 2018, 02:43:02 PM »
I’m working on cleaning up the ash pan on a 26” thumbscrew I have. It looks like it was coated with something from the factory and even has a wood grain pattern to it. It’s keeping the pan from shining so I hit it with some 0000 and that barely scuffed it. Now I’m stuck with it partially off and looking like crap. I guess I’ve got to get down to bare aluminum now to make it look decent. Anyone seen this before? Here’s a pic that sort of shows it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

harris92

• WKC Performer
Re: Ash pan coating?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 06:34:50 AM »
I have three ash pans from the early 1960's that have porcelain coating.  Maybe the remains of the porcelain?

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
I have three ash pans from the early 1960's that have porcelain coating.  Maybe the remains of the porcelain?
I think this one is a 64 at the earliest. Too new? I'm not sure what it is...
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 03:03:17 AM »
While researching Aluminum PK Grills restorations someone with metallurgical knowledge advised against using steel wool and steel wire wheel brushes to the finish. It was contrary to what I'd been doing in the past, but I heeded the advice on my PK resto's and use Poly wire cup and wheel brushes (and 3M Abrasive discs on heavy corrosion)

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!