Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grate temp vs lid temp  (Read 1364 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Grate temp vs lid temp
« on: May 05, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
I was cooking wings today and noticed this drastic difference in temperature. I had the vents full open, a SnS with a full lit chimney of RO briquettes. The lid vent is opposite the coals. I didn't know who to believe so I stuck my instant read thermometer straight down through the lid vent and it read 481 (I also partially melted some of the plastic too doh). I know the instant read isn't at grate level but it is a lot closer than the lid thermometer. So I don't know why the huge difference.

I attached a picture of where I had the grate probe during the cook (I even moved it around and was getting the same read out). My only thought is the wire end of the grate probe was too close to the heat and it was affecting the reading?

I thought maybe my Maverick was finally going so I did a boiling water test with both probes and both read 214 when the water started boiling. So I don't know what to think any more.

I am smoking some pork butts next weekend for a high school event so I hope my probe isn't gone yet.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:56:12 PM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Grate temp vs lid temp
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 01:58:21 PM »
If I understand correctly what you're saying, the lid vent is reading about 20 degrees hotter than actual grate temp. This makes sense to me, as lid thermometers always read hotter (heat rises) but because that lid thermo is halfway between heat and food, it isn't reading any higher than 19 degrees "too hot."

I think if you spun the lid so that the thermo was over the food it would have been more accurate, but it's academic: you'd want the vent over the food of course.

Use caution when putting any instant-read or probe on or near a cook grate. The metal could be a hotter temp than the air immediately above it, and probes aren't designed for anything beyond about 550.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 02:09:09 PM »
I don’t know but I’m suddenly hungry for wings!  Those look great

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »
If I understand correctly what you're saying, the lid vent is reading about 20 degrees hotter than actual grate temp. This makes sense to me, as lid thermometers always read hotter (heat rises) but because that lid thermo is halfway between heat and food, it isn't reading any higher than 19 degrees "too hot."

I think if you spun the lid so that the thermo was over the food it would have been more accurate, but it's academic: you'd want the vent over the food of course.

Use caution when putting any instant-read or probe on or near a cook grate. The metal could be a hotter temp than the air immediately above it, and probes aren't designed for anything beyond about 550.
Sorry if what I wrote was confusing. The lid was reading about 510, the instant read thermometer through the vent was 481, and the grate probe was 361.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 02:29:40 PM »
I don’t know but I’m suddenly hungry for wings!  Those look great

Thanks!

Hmm I guess this should have gone in the grilling section [emoji28]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 02:59:41 PM »
... The lid was reading about 510, the instant read thermometer through the vent was 481, and the grate probe was 361.

OK in that case the lid thermo is definitely too close to be meaningful. I think the instant read, as used, or as located, is a red herring here.

If your Maverick probes are known-good, ignore the rest.

I typically only use my lid vent as meaning "dead coals, medium-ish, or fairly hot." But I think if your lid thermo reads 150 more than food grate temp just totally ignore it.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 09:10:46 PM »
... The lid was reading about 510, the instant read thermometer through the vent was 481, and the grate probe was 361.

OK in that case the lid thermo is definitely too close to be meaningful. I think the instant read, as used, or as located, is a red herring here.

If your Maverick probes are known-good, ignore the rest.

I typically only use my lid vent as meaning "dead coals, medium-ish, or fairly hot." But I think if your lid thermo reads 150 more than food grate temp just totally ignore it.
Thanks. That's what I figured, but 361 seems low for a full lit chimney, no? Ashes were fully swept and that was the temp reading from the beginning. I don't use RO briqs much due to a bad experience with them so this is the first time using a full chimney (usually I mix small amount with KBB just to get through all the bags I bought on clearance several years ago). They are bigger than KBB so maybe there are less briqs in a full chimney and thus the lower temp?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:15:10 PM by Firemunkee »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 05:20:04 AM »
I haven't measured temps in a long time to comment further. How were the wings?

If you do lose faith in the Maverick, you can put a $6 oven thermometer from the grocery store on the grate for the two butts, and stick them with the instant read every now and again.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Grate temp vs lid temp
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 07:47:23 AM »
Switch to cooking on a one touch silver and no thermos for awhile. Ignorance is bliss sometimes. [emoji3]

« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 07:49:20 AM by HoosierKettle »

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 08:41:45 AM »
Just wing it...no thermo required.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 11:02:21 AM »
I never use cables here... got tired of all that wire shit everywhere. When I need to poke, I use my Thermapen. Lid thermo is pretty much useless. And like Hell Fire Grill sez, "just wing it". Just remember, this is NOT an exact science. Play.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:06:24 AM by hawgheaven »
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 04:52:12 PM »
I never use cables here... got tired of all that wire shit everywhere. When I need to poke, I use my Thermapen. Lid thermo is pretty much useless. And like Hell Fire Grill sez, "just wing it". Just remember, this is NOT an exact science. Play.

What he said  ;D