Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mod help, drilling & cutting porcelain coated steel tips, tricks, & whatnot  (Read 1013 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
I plan on doing a couple of mods I've mentioned here http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/member-sales-trades/seeking-rusted-out-kettle-2-messed-up-lids-chicago-area/

I thought I'd ask for tips or tricks for drilling & cutting porcelain coated steel as I'm sure it's been done many times.

If nobody has any suggestions, I'll try using the method for drilling holes in ceramic tile as it seems like there would be similarities regarding drill bit or saw blade/grinder getting a decent grip instead of bouncing around a bit.  If I go that route, I'll report back with my findings.  For drilling a hole in ceramic tile, you basically take a couple of pieces of masking tape and place them in an x right over where you are going to drill.  It probably does not really need to be an x, probably just having 2 layers is really all that is needed.  Basically, the drill bit goes through the tape which gives is a bit of a grip & helps prevent it from bouncing around on the smooth surface before getting a grip.  I'm guessing it would similarly help if using a grinding wheel or a saw blade. 

I'm kind of guessing a grinding wheel will cause less damage to the porcelain than a saw blade. 

In any event, I appreciate any suggestions.

Also went to a thrift store & picked up a used $2 stainless steel mixing bowl to cut the bottom off of to try out as a vortex thing.  I was looking at one the other day thinking it should work, then found a couple of threads on here where people had done the same thing.

Eventually, I might try the comal pan modification drip pan for use with a vortex that @Jules V. did on his poortex/vortex thread.  Really looks nice, but I figure I'll have to see how much I like homemade version first.
regards,
Hal

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
Tagging @swamprb
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
What are you trying to drill?  Lid n bowl? 
Also, don't use the mixing bowl as a poortex as they are not thick enough.  Those are probably 20 gauge or even thinner. You would want a 18 gauge, which is the thickness of the Vortex, or even thicker in the  range of 16-14 gauge.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
I'm actually planning on cutting/grinding a lid & two bowls.  I'll be cutting circular pieces out of the centers of the bottom of 1 bowl & the center of the top of 1 lid.

I'll also cut a roughly pizzakettle (or pizzaque) sized & shaped opening in the side of 1 lid just above the rim of a second lid.

I'm guessing a grinder would work much better than a sabre saw, or are there other suggestions?

I only mentioned the drilling because I may do that one day & knew the trick for ceramic tile.  I'm guessing the same trick might be helpful for cutting with a grinder, or whatnot, on the surface of the porcelain lid & bowl.  Also, thought it might be useful to mention for anyone who was drilling a hole to put a regular bowl on a performer (which I believe you, @Jules V. , have done). 

If nobody has tried it, I'll probably drill two holes somewhere within the area of my cut (one with the tape & one without), just to try it out & report back.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:09:36 PM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

swamprb

• WKC Performer
What’s the big deal?

Masking tape area
Mark the area to cut
Drill small pilot holes at corners
Steady hand with whatever circular cutting tool you prefer-
On the Reds/colors I’d suggest a Dremel to do the first outline then a final cut through with a 3” rotary cutter
Grind to smooth finish
Leave the lid whole cutting along lip to avoid warping

IMO this setup beats Pizza Kettle and Pizzaque

More detailed pics at my Left Hand Smoke facebook page in Albums

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Thanks for the tips @swamprb.  I thought the tape would help, but your tips are exactly what I'm looking for.  I'll take a look at your album too.  Thanks again. 
regards,
Hal