Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New member looking for advice  (Read 1096 times)

Jon Tofte

• Smokey Joe
New member looking for advice
« on: March 08, 2018, 03:42:13 PM »
I joined the WKC not too long ago and enjoy the posts about classic Weber kettles. I am much more knowledgeable about Weber gas grills which I restore when time allows.

I was trolling around and came across this listing and wondered what you all think of this as a "first" old-style Weber Kettle:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/429890055/?ref=BoardDetail

I know the price is cheap, but do you think this has potential? I have never seen any red or any of the unusual 60s/70s color kettles for sale anywhere around me. That is probably because South Florida doesn't have a lot of people who have lived here for that many years with old kettles gathering dust in a garage.

I am very interested in what you think. If you happen to live in this area, maybe you could give a new member a chance and not "beat me to it"!
Custom Platinum One Touc, Red Patent Pending "Aristocrat" 26, Red 22 MBH, Black '00 Flat-top 26, Black 22 MBH, and '74 Black "49'er" 18. And too many projects!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: New member looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 03:45:36 PM »
That is a nice little 18 pre 75 and for the price just get her you will love it and welcome to the club

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 03:46:18 PM »
First off, welcome. Second, it’s an 18” Kettle...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 03:47:55 PM »
Oops, hit the wrong button and didn’t see jebiv’s reply.. but any way, yeah, I think you should get it to get your obsession started...enjoy!

CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
jump on that !

DrewZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 03:56:58 PM »
A no-brainer for $10. At a minimum, it's a solid, original and complete cooker. With a little work, it's got potential to be a looker. Go. Now.
Drew Z.
70th Anniversary-SSP, A-Code GA, Snap On GA, Blue 18" OTG, Eagles SJ, 18" Tuck-N-Carry Midget, 3-burner Genny Jr., S-320

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 04:15:30 PM »
I'd buy that for $10
White walls look to be in good shape and it has the ashpan inside.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 04:18:40 PM »
With $10 and a little elbow grease, that will be a fine acquisition.  You won't regret it.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »
That is a nice little 18 pre 75 and for the price just get her you will love it and welcome to the club

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I’d get it. And welcome from Melrose Park, IL
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 04:34:51 PM »
Hi and welcome!
First of all we're all enablers here, the answer is always gonna be go get it [emoji3]
Secondly, at that price it's a no brainer. It doesn't look to be in perfect condition, but that just gives it character. All of my grills have "character" and I love thinking of all the stories those blemishes tell. As Greg always says, 'every kettle has a story.'
That grill will make a great little cooker, go get it, sit back, and let the weberitus set in. But beware, there is no known cure...

Jon Tofte

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 04:47:59 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the fast feedback! I put in the "offer" and am awaiting a response. If he still has it now I will have to figure out how I will find time to go 70 miles round trip when I should really be home doing tax returns!!!

I am afraid some of your comments about the weberitus fever could be very true! My space limitations and my wife's disdain for my grill hobby will also keep me in check.

I will let you all know if I get it. I will be looking for some advice on getting it to look nice again. I have done a number of Weber gas grills of various models, but not much on any kettles besides a general cleaning and some parts repairs on my Performer.

I did notice the cool old style ash pan and the older style wheels. It will at least be a curiosity provoker having it where people can see it:) I hope I can bring it home!
Custom Platinum One Touc, Red Patent Pending "Aristocrat" 26, Red 22 MBH, Black '00 Flat-top 26, Black 22 MBH, and '74 Black "49'er" 18. And too many projects!

DellJones

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 08:41:28 PM »
If that was near me I’d pick it up.  Go get it you won’t regret it [emoji41][emoji106]🏾[emoji106]🏾

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club