Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just a badass grill  (Read 1753 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Just a badass grill
« on: November 16, 2017, 08:58:17 AM »
I’ve thought about selling my gen 2 performer to free up space, but after cooking on it last night, there’s no way. Stainless front, stainless ash sweeps, thermometer that is as water tight as a submarine (the newer thermometers aren’t as water tight) and takes my careless abuse and stands up to the elements. It’s a work horse. Nope, it’s staying with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
Re: Just a badass grill
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:59:55 AM »
Wise decision.  I will sell off my duplicate kettles befor I sell an ssp or performer. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 09:00:50 AM »
I have the same grill as my go-to cooker.  It's the only grill that lives on my deck.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 09:02:02 AM »
i have the same problem , since i got my ssp it's kinda been pushed aside , thought about selling it too , but just can't pull the trigger .

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 09:06:30 AM »
Gen 2 Performer is my goto cooker.  I have been thinking about replacing it but I sure love that thing.  I will probably just end up adding to the collection instead of pairing down.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 09:07:16 AM »
Keep her but throw on the newer steel table (65189) and lid bale(65188).
I love my gen 2.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 10:14:49 AM »

I love my gen 2.

That is exactly what I did with my gen 2! 

Question: Did ALL the Gen 2 performers come with SS sweeps?  If so, I may have to clean mine up and put them back in the bowl.  Is there an easy way to tell if sweeps are SS or not?  Also, the possibly stainless sweeps I just took out were not flush with the inside of the bowl.  Is there a preferred method for fixing this?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »

I love my gen 2.

That is exactly what I did with my gen 2! 

Question: Did ALL the Gen 2 performers come with SS sweeps?  If so, I may have to clean mine up and put them back in the bowl.  Is there an easy way to tell if sweeps are SS or not?  Also, the possibly stainless sweeps I just took out were not flush with the inside of the bowl.  Is there a preferred method for fixing this?

Test for stainless using magnet. Ss isn’t magnetic.

You might be able to bend them back but not sure. The aluminized steel last a good long while so I wouldn’t put them back in until needed.

Another member awhile back said you can still order ss sweeps from weber.

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »

Test for stainless using magnet. Ss isn’t magnetic.

You might be able to bend them back but not sure. The aluminized steel last a good long while so I wouldn’t put them back in until needed.

Another member awhile back said you can still order ss sweeps from weber.

Thanks @HoosierKettle!

"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 03:14:20 PM »
Good choice man. My gen 3 lives on the patio year round. All others are put away. Need to try that fried chicken recipe too. Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 03:34:14 PM »
Just checked my sweeps. The magnet doesn't stick.
Didn't know that my gen 2 sweeps were SS.
Bonus👍
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 04:05:37 PM »
Damn straight it's a workhorse. I'd also like to know which years got the SS sweeps. I'll have to check my dad's 2005 when I get there next month.

A few days ago there was one listed here for like $85. Hmm ... but I only contacted the seller because it was listed as being "either charcoal or gas" and that it had "a trash can."

I carefully and respectfully emailed to let them know the truth; they were appreciative and thanked me. The next day, the listing was modified but still claimed the charcoal bin could also be used as a trashcan.

And the price had been lowered to $65! Shit, now I gotta email them back and just pick the bitch up. Already gone! LOL
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »
My dt code otg has them. This dr code performer has them. My recent ad code otg does not have them. So at least 2003-2006 that I’m aware of.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 05:41:36 PM »
The cynic in me will aways wonder why they spent the extra cash during that time to do that. Unless, perhaps, there was a problem with the aluminized-steel supplier?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »

The cynic in me will aways wonder why they spent the extra cash during that time to do that. Unless, perhaps, there was a problem with the aluminized-steel supplier?

Yeah could be. My 8 year old ots I bought new still has the original aluminized steel sweeps and they still work. Getting a little rusty. I’m guessing they will go 10 years easy. That’s not to shabby for a part that takes a lot of abuse, however my ss sweeps are considerably older and are in much better condition.