Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Any experience here with Evapo Rust?  (Read 3828 times)

29tx

• WKC Brave
Re: Any experience here with Evapo Rust?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 08:09:42 PM »
I use it and it works well and you can reuse it for awhile. I buy paint strainers that look like this and funnel it back into the original jug.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 09:34:30 PM »
Great help everyone!  I'm anxious to try it.  I hope it shines up the cado parts, as well as the lower extremities of the H code black 22 and the 2 crusty SJs I just acquired.  The rusty ash sweeper and hardware should also clean up nice.  I'm learning as I go. I'm having a hard time finding something to hold the triangles, so I'm thinking about doing a rag it and bag it soak. Both at the same time. 

nolch01

• WKC Ranger

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 07:37:08 PM »
I had great results with evaporust on 20 year old lug nuts for a Land Cruiser that had significant surface rust. Evaporust completely removed the rust and black oxide finish, leaving bare metal. Afterward you'll want to do something to prevent future oxidation. That might be a clearcoat, metal finish or a simple coat of oil or car wax.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 05:59:12 AM »
... Afterward you'll want to do something to prevent future oxidation. That might be a clearcoat, metal finish or a simple coat of oil or car wax.

Hoping that some high heat "BBQ" paint will suffice. Don't know what else would survive the heat. Nobody will care if there's a little black color around the legs of the one I'll repair. Regardless, I've got to slather some J-B Weld Extreme on there after the rust removal, or the protective coat won't matter.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 04:12:41 PM »

Hoping that some high heat "BBQ" paint will suffice. Don't know what else would survive the heat. Nobody will care if there's a little black color around the legs of the one I'll repair. Regardless, I've got to slather some J-B Weld Extreme on there after the rust removal, or the protective coat won't matter.

I used stove paint on one of mine and it held off the rust for years. The one I am working on now, green, will get black high heat grill paint around the leg sockets after some JB Weld Extreme. I'm dealing with the same thing as you, legs still attached but a little bit loose. Mine is getting an ash bucket so no one will ever notice the black paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 04:41:59 PM »

I used stove paint on one of mine and it held off the rust for years. The one I am working on now, green, will get black high heat grill paint around the leg sockets after some JB Weld Extreme. I'm dealing with the same thing as you, legs still attached but a little bit loose. Mine is getting an ash bucket so no one will ever notice the black paint.

Today I flipped it over and presoaked with PB Blaster, where the legs go into the sockets. The legs won't budge, and I need to remove all of that of course in order to properly soak the sockets with Evapo. Wish me luck in not twisting off the sockets, since some of the welds have already broken from heat and age!

I think I'll have to put Vise Grips on the sockets to keep them from spinning and another Vise Grip on the leg while twisting ... but I'm about ready to just cut the legs off and then methodically work them out of the sockets by squeezing them with the Grips or something. One of the sockets appears "split," I'll have to probably squeeze it with Grips while some J-B takes hold there.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 05:02:10 PM »
I tried it this weekend on the triangle.  The heater pan was a bit too small to allow full immersion, so I covered it with rags and kept them soaked.  It didn't put a dent in the rust.  I was disappointed.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2017, 06:11:59 PM »
Try a scrub with a tooth brush and re-soak.   I pushed 12 hrs with the rusty charcoal grates.   I scrubbed after 6 hrs and then repeated several times.  If bad use a stainless detail brush.  Maybe try one end of the triangle at a time since you could not get it all in.

Just got done with the ash sweep washer and  frame parts off a 2013 OTS.

Before

After

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2017, 07:15:42 PM »
Thanks.  I'll give that a try.  The triangle still looks awful, too.  I was hoping this stuff was an easy solution.  It sure looks like it is in those pics the others posted.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2017, 07:17:49 PM »
Works better than anything I have used and requires low effort.  Make sure you give it a long soak. Good luck.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 01:13:28 PM »
I recently bought a lime SJ from @joejenks and the lowers were a bit crusty. I soaked them for a couple of days. After a rinse, I scrubbed them with steel wool, then metal polish.

[attachment deleted by admin]

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 01:14:14 PM »
[emoji106]🏻

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
Any experience here with Evapo Rust?
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 01:16:56 PM »
Don't forget to seal with clear coat or something as the metal will rust again. 

The legs on my lime already started to show a color change and it has been in my house since clean up 2 months ago.   

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:42:20 AM by nolch01 »

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2017, 04:59:24 AM »
Great stuff. I soaked the snot out of a pair of very rusty original Performer baskets. Left them in for 3-4 days, draining the solution through a screen several times to reuse. It did a great job.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers