Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Go Anywhere Grill review  (Read 3755 times)

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
Go Anywhere Grill review
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:11:27 PM »
Hey folks,

Apologies up front because there are probably already a ton of reviews on the WGA. What might be a little different about mine is that I have had at least two of these charcoal WGAs that I remember including this newest one. I had an older gas model with wooden handles.  Also had a few of the small Smokey Joes over the years (bottom vent and side vent). There was a period of several years where I had no portable charcoal grill and was lugging around a Q120 until I picked up this WGA. What was nice about the Q was that I could use tie straps to strap it to the top of my (37" x 12") spare tire.

I like that you can fit everything inside the WGA (charcoal, tools, chimney, fire starter) and the Craycort grates that I also got for it just make it a great portable solution.

Anyway, what prompted this video review is that it has probably been 30 years since I picked up my first WGA and going to this very same spot up in the mountains (also for 30 years).

edit:
Sorry, i deleted the original video due to the noise. I will remake it again soon.

So I made sort of a text version of my review....

This is my third GA. Over the past 30 years, I have owned one wooden handle GAG and two GACs plus three of the small Smokey Joes - one with the snap shut lid and the other with vents on the bottom. I take these grills out camping and abuse them because they are bounced around with gear in the back of a truck or a jeep while going over rough terrains. I use them hard and put them away wet.

All of the grills i have used (including the heavy Q 120) work well in their own ways. The reason i keep going back to the GA and specifically the GAC is because of how compact it can be made to travel and of how well it works. It also takes a beating. My current GAC is the only GA (or even SJ) that i have owned with the newer handles. All others were the older wooden handle models purchased between ~1986 and ~2000.

The fact that it snaps shut is a huge benefit for me, making it one of few options. Granted, the Smokey Joe does that too but you have more limited grill space and storage space when not in use. That and the protruding legs can make it a little award to stow.

IMHO, if I could ask for improvements on the GAC, i would like to see both the charcoal grate and the main grate made a little better. I think the charcoal grate is missing a cross bar at one or both ends and lets larger pieces of charcoal drop through. It would be nice if the charcoal grate was not only stainless for durability but that it also fit better width-wise.

It would be especially nice if the main cooking grate was not only stainless but also split in two like the Craycorts or modified stock grate.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:24:20 AM by GoAnywhereJeep »
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

namtrag

• WKC Brave
Go Anywhere Grill review
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 03:43:31 AM »
Haha, small world. Just watched this last night after searching for Go Anywhere grills on YouTube.  Really nice video and demo of how you cook on it.  Your cooking kit is quite impressive.  Do you camp out of the Jeep a lot?  The water noise was a good trade to see the  beauty of the spot you were in!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Go Anywhere Grill review
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 06:46:04 AM »
Haha, small world. Just watched this last night after searching for Go Anywhere grills on YouTube.  Really nice video and demo of how you cook on it.  Your cooking kit is quite impressive.  Do you camp out of the Jeep a lot?  The water noise was a good trade to see the  beauty of the spot you were in!

Thanks. Yes, I cook out of the jeep as often as I can so I keep it small and light. I used to lug around a Q but that eventually got very old.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 08:39:50 AM »
So, if you have 2 Craycort grill replacements, will everything still fit inside the grill like it did in your video?  I have a SJ, and the only issue I have with it is the top won't go on all the way with the small chimney inside.  I would switch to a GA if I can get around this issue.  We do a lot of camping, and I would like to have a grill that packed up like yours.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:22:10 AM »
Yes, everything fits. I had both grates with me in the video; I just left the other one wrapped in the news paper. The trick to getting it all to fit nicely is to pull the legs out slightly and it will let the charcoal grate drop all the way down to the bottom. Do this one side at a time.

I was actually thinking about getting a propane GA (as mentioned- have had one before) but not so much a fan of the new design sans the flavorizer shield inside. Craycort makes a slightly different grate for GGA in that it has a more solid bar going down the middle and above the burner to make it more like how a single burner Q is situated. Here in California, it is prohibited to do charcoal fires on the beach (though tons of people do it anyway). I kind of want to bring a GGA with Craycort grates to the beach.  :)  We can camp on the beach down here in a few spots. Pismo Beach is one of them (and you can jeep there too).

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »
I was going to hold out and try to get an older CGA, but it doesn't look like the design has changed, and colors are very rare.  Based on your review, I think I will go ahead and get a brand new one.  It will fit in our camping gear a lot better than the SJ we have, plus the chimney and supplies will pack inside for a 2-3 cook weekend trip!

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 01:02:23 PM »
You can cut the standard chrome grate in half and make it packable similar to the 2 pcs Craycorts

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 01:20:57 PM »
I was wondering if the standard grate came in 2 pieces!  Thanks for the tip on cutting it in half.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »
There was a video out there of a guy who cut the stock grill. Could not find it. I would be careful to sand it when done and make sure there is no flaking of the outer metal. Mine is brand new. Never used. Ordered the CGA and the Craycorts at the same time.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 02:23:38 AM »
It says the video was removed by the user.  Boo.  Was looking forward to seeing it.  Hope it gets relisted :)
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 06:54:46 AM »
Ugh!  I wanted to see it too!
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 09:36:19 AM »
Here is a video of the grate mod and packing into a CGA. 

https://youtu.be/v6mLF_yxdSY

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 08:08:22 AM »
It says the video was removed by the user.  Boo.  Was looking forward to seeing it.  Hope it gets relisted :)

Ugh!  I wanted to see it too!

Sorry guys. I did delete the video. It had a lot of background noise from the rushing water in the background. I filmed it next to a fast flowing creek going through the granite in the Sierra Nevada (@~7,200'). I'll redo the video again soon. I can put it back up if you want to put up with the noise but it started getting thumbs downs and negative comments for noise.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 08:19:52 AM »
I'd be interested in seeing it either the same one or a redo

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 08:25:44 AM »
I'd be interested in seeing it either the same one or a redo

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Okay, thanks. I'll re-upload it now in the interim and update the link later. I also made it a point to go back and edit the original message with more text content pertinent to the review so you don't have to go watch a video.  ;)  Let me know if you have any questions.