Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Broken leg socket weld  (Read 4578 times)

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
Broken leg socket weld
« on: October 09, 2017, 06:21:02 AM »
I noticed on my old kettle that on the front leg socket a weld broke loose. The other two welds are in place so the leg only wobbles a bit and is in no immediate danger of falling off. Other than drilling a hole and installing a nut and bolt, how do others fix something like this? I would think this is common to collectors of old kettles and maybe someone has an idea, maybe JD Weld or some other trick that they use. I would hate to dump the kettle for this reason but eventually the wobble will break the other two welds. I don't have access to welding equipment.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Re: Broken leg socket weld
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 06:24:38 AM »
@northwestkettle did a remarkable weld job on his curbside save. Check out his thread. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/curbside-scrap-kettle-save/
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 06:32:56 AM »
Yes, it is a remarkable effort. NW Kettle is above my grade level in restoration skills.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:33:09 AM »
The, perhaps try the JB Weld as you first suggested.  If it doesn't work, it can always be ground off if you find out that a buddy of yours knows how to weld.

I used JB Weld on a motorcycle engine once when I followed proper procedure after changing the oil (according to the manual) and unscrewed a particular screw to watch that a bit weeps out when you first start the engine.  Head of screw broke off.  Tried drilling & tapping it out to no avail.  Dealer wanted big bucks to remove it.  The guy in the service shop had NO IDEA what I was talking about when I told him the manual states to loosen it after changing the oil to watch oil weep out so you know everything is ok.  After finding that out, I plugged it up with JB Weld and the oil stopped leaking. I was amazed that it worked on something that had oil leaking out.  I just wiped it off really good & put her over the remainder of the screw.  Didn't have any more problems & sold her off later on.  Ran into the guy who bought her waiting for the bus with a cast on his leg.  Yes, he did it with the motorcycle. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 08:22:24 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 08:12:39 AM »
I may go with JB Weld, it is good up to 500 degrees so maybe it will hold as it is on the outside. Would rather not get into drilling holes.  Funny story about the guy with the cast.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 08:21:45 AM »
I'd avoid the drill too.  JB Weld has worked surprisingly well for me a couple of times. 

The guy with the cast explained that he had a girlfriend on the back, stopped for a stop sign, started giving it some gas to take off, realized he had it in neutral, so kicked it into first (while having increased the gas already), did a wheelie and they both fell off. 
regards,
Hal

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 09:50:14 AM »
I did a weldingspot on my 18 Cado.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 09:54:52 AM »
Bertl, I just noticed your comment and see that you welded the socket. That is what I need to do but I do not have the equipment and have never tried to weld. I guess that is the dilemma. You did nice work.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 12:45:35 PM by BBQ Jack »

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 06:54:41 PM »
I used JB Weld on it today and I will see how it goes. If it does not work I will have to get someone to do a Weld which based on the pics is the best method. Thanks to both for the help. As for the motorcycle you must have juiced up the horsepower with the work you did on it, I hope the girl did not get hurt.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 12:40:44 AM »
Maybe this would work ? Higher temp rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 12:43:31 AM »
JB weld will likely hold

but what kind of gasses are going to come off it while cooking?

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 01:03:16 AM »
Good point Troy!
Personally I might look at drilling a 3/16” hole and using a steel pop rivet from the inside. Some of the rivet heads are pretty flat and would not interfere with the sweeper to much.
Just got to make sure you use a steel rivet and not aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 04:42:22 AM »

JB weld will likely hold

but what kind of gasses are going to come off it while cooking?

I used JB weld and heat tape to close a rust hole around a blue 18 socket and it has held nicely for over 3 years.

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 06:56:54 AM »
Interesting comments, I used the original JB weld yesterday, the leg is secure and does not wobble after 20 hours. The package indicates it holds continuous heat up to 550 degrees. Time will tell. The bond is on the outside of the grill. Not sure how hot it gets on the leg socket. I will burn some charcoal over the weekend to see how it goes. The web site indicates non toxic after it is cured. Maybe the high heat brand would be better. 

I think that with the type of problem I had the weld done by Bertl is the best but you need the equipment and have to know what your doing. I viewed Troy's leg socket video a few days ago and think it is a great way to fix the socket if it breaks loose, and a great reference. I only had one loose weld out of three so I looked for another trick but I suppose a drilling a hole and installing a nut and bolt would work fine. Another suggestions I read was to drill a thin hole and use a sheet metal screw. If this does not hold I will drill a hole and bolt it in.

I would think there are a lot of loose sockets in the kettle community maybe this will help others. 

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »
Never even knew about the Extreme Heat version. Damn you, Home Depot/Lowe's ... can't ever be bothered to carry anyone's full line of anything.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch