Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My new to me Tesla needs some work suggestions? Pic heavy  (Read 1498 times)

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
My new to me Tesla needs some work suggestions? Pic heavy
« on: September 16, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »

I am enjoying my first day off for a while "TESLA" will be cooking soon and it's Yellow
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My new to me Tesla needs some work suggestions? Pic heavy
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
Suggestions for what?

If it were mind I'd replace the cord with a 3-wire, and attach ground to that central stack somewhere. As-is, it seems like a lot of opportunity for a hot wire to come loose. I wouldn't want to tough the kettle unless grounded.

Nice looking rarity!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 08:29:07 AM »
Suggestions for what?

If it were mind I'd replace the cord with a 3-wire, and attach ground to that central stack somewhere. As-is, it seems like a lot of opportunity for a hot wire to come loose. I wouldn't want to tough the kettle unless grounded.

Nice looking rarity!
It already has a 3 wire plug it grounds to the inside tube
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 08:31:05 AM »
Suggestions for what?

Nice looking rarity!
It already has a 3 wire plug it grounds to the inside tube

OK gotcha. Didn't see that 3rd wire in the photos.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 03:30:26 PM »
Congrats on the score!  I don't mess with electricity, period...so I applaud your efforts to bring it back to life!  Can't wait to see it fixed up.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 05:33:08 PM »
Whoah nice score!! Something you don't see every day.... can't wait to see some cook pics!
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 07:46:36 AM »
Some of the wiring looks a bit frayed.....not totally bad, but it may cause a ruckus after some use....

I've acquired high heat wire for my antique deep fryer at a appliance parts shop...these guys got everything.....might could pick up a replacement knob at a place like that too....check around your area &  tell them how you're using it.................

The wire is not cheap, like $3-4 a foot, but it lasts a long, long time....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 08:47:08 AM »
Grate score. Congrats!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 02:03:51 PM »
Congrats! Loving the yellow electric kettle.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »
Suggestions for what?

Nice looking rarity!

NO!

This is a common misconception. You want your appliance to be grounded, hence the three prong cord.  You do not want to be grounded yourself because if you touch a hot appliance, it will become grounded - through you - and you'll get a hell of a shock.   The old rule "not grounded, not dead" is applicable when you're talking about people. My ex had to learn this the hard way with a sandblasting machine that had a hot chassis at a college co-op placement (why listen to me after all...).