Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Dude... You need to just CHILL and be patient!  (Read 2661 times)

SixZeroFour

Dude... You need to just CHILL and be patient!
« on: August 29, 2017, 02:59:36 PM »
Hey guys,

A month or so ago now a BLUE Weber Chill popped up close by on CL. After calling I was bummed out to learn that I was #2 in line by only a few min and that person #1 was set to pick it up in the morning. I thanked the nice lady and that was the end of it... or so I thought! About a week later I received an email from the seller saying that when the other guy showed up they plugged it in to test but the unit had stopped working. He decided to pass so she was then going to have a friend check it out to see if he could get it working but I guess that never ended up happening. After a few more email exchanges we ended up making a deal and I picked up a beautiful blue Chill for a very fair price, but she needs some TLC:

Side shelves as received:

Sanded down and filled:

All stained up:

Dried and awaiting hardware:

All set and mounted:

I also used some headlight polish and buffed out the lid scuffs. Worked like a charm.

Sitting beside the red - I love these things!

So now I have a sexy looking cooler but need to work on getting the internals fixed. I'm hoping that it has something to do with the quirky switch that is used as there is no response whatsoever when I plug it in. No hum, no attempt to start the compressor, nothing! So that leads my wishful thinking to believe it could be a simple electrical issue. After cracking it open all appears well on the inside with no noticeable failure points or other indicators. Next I plan to have a small appliance repair man check it out as I have limited electrical skills.

Has anyone out there had any luck repairing one of these bad boys?

Have a good night,

Matt
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Dude... You need to just CHILL and be patient!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 03:19:23 PM »
Wow great score. Glad that it came with both tables. It cleaned up really well. Hope you can get it working! Those are definitely hard to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »
Looks great man!!! Nice work, and good luck getting her going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 04:02:04 PM »
I love these! I have a silver one with the wooden wing shelves. Mine works well, so I can't comment on the repair. Maybe it just needs a refrigerant recharge? You could call a refrigerator repair company, and they could almost certainly repair it, but it'll cost a few bucks.

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »
Look for a capacitor in there and replace it.

Red

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

northwestkettle

• WKC Ranger
Dude... You need to just CHILL and be patient!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
If you have a multimeter you need to get to the Conection's at the compressor motor and see if it is getting power after you plug it in if it dose have power the motor Is potentially shot if it doesn't then it may have a snap disc that senses temp that has gone bad those are cheep to replace probably get one from grainier you just need to follow the power wire back from the motor and see where you have lost power I used to do hvac but mainly house central air not a lot of small appliance type stuff but normally you need to start at the beginning or the end of the power run and find where u are losing your power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:15:07 PM by northwestkettle »
BBQ to live live to BBQ

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 04:44:18 PM »
Damn it. I thought you found me a yellow. Lol.

Seriously though. Blue is my favorite color, and that thing is cool.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:46:07 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »
Wow those are cool! Sweet score amd pair.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 11:13:15 PM »
duuuuuuuuuuuuuude
those are sweet as hell

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 06:25:16 AM »
Look for a thermal over load breaker it should have a red push button, if it has one.

A multi meter or test light will help you find the electrical part thats not working, if thats the problem. Its pretty common for those switches & relays to get dirty or hot enough to malfunction. They make them super cheap.

Sometimes the lubrication in the compressor gets displaced, think of gas bubbles in the condenser/heat exchanger, by laying the unit on its side. Then if the refrigerator is started before the oil has a chance to flow back, via gravity, to the compressor it can seize up. If it seized alot of times you can tap on the pump with a rubber hammer or a block of wood (something kindof soft so you dont dent the housing) and it'll start running again. I had a freezer that was not used for several years, standing upright, and I had to beat up the pump a little to get it working again, but it worked for several years after that.

You probably have an appliance parts supply in your area and they can help you diagnose the problem and test the switches & relay and sell you the parts so you can fix it yourself. I do and they have helped me learn alot on how to repair all my appliances.

Its all pretty simple stuff, I'v done several Redneck Refer Repairs although Im not a appliance repair guy.

Hopefully you can pick up a silver Chill before long.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 07:56:05 AM »
nice pick up.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

SixZeroFour

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 12:18:04 PM »
Thank you all very much for the ideas. I'm going to crack it open again and have another look and try the block and hammer trick HFG suggested. It did lay on its side on the drive home and for part of the day, plus I have no idea how it was being stored before that. Probably sat for quite awhile. :/

Damn it. I thought you found me a yellow. Lol.

lol I was speaking of a figurative "dude" not THE Dude 8)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
Nice restore on the wood side tables. Both the red and blue look minty.

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 04:34:35 PM »
Matt, I know on an old travel trailer fridge, I was told (by an experienced repairman) to turn the unit upside down (required removal on my case) for a while...12 or so hours, then upright for at least 24 hours....may sound ODD, but.. it worked...fridge was still working 2 years later when I sold the travel trailer...maybe someone else has had this same experience?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 08:43:33 PM »
You might try searching youTUBE for "small refrigerator repair" or even "Weber Chill servicing"  ...  it's usually my first DiY source.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".