Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picking up a SSP tomorrow  (Read 1773 times)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Picking up a SSP tomorrow
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:05:11 PM »
I don't know anything about these. Seller can't give me much info, was left in the shed of the house they bought. What are some things to look for? It appears to be an early model and red. Hope it's in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Picking up a SSP tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 05:36:52 PM »
Rust through around the sweeps, a rickety frame thats rusted out, missing propane tank are the big ones
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:38:46 PM »
And make sure the assist is complete with the rubber hose & burner assembly. The burner often gets roached where the flame comes out.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 06:24:16 PM »
I think @Hell Fire Grill hit them all. Make sure all pieces are there and frame isn’t rusted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:22:45 PM »
Ask for the cover and baskets. Porcelain blowout on the burner side, melted charcoal bin, melted lid rollers.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 02:07:29 AM »
I think I have a spare table if you need it. 

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 10:52:27 AM »
Thanks guys. Just picked it up. Overall very happy with it. It's my first redhead, first gas assist, and it's in pretty decent shape.
EE code

Red mist (I think, I am colorblind/deficient)

Came with charcoal grate, cooking grate, and gas tank. Rust on the frame is literally only these 2 spots.

She fired right up. Hard to tell, but it's lit.

Bowl has a little damage, some crazing and a few spots with the porcelain popping off, but nothing major.

Two bags of kingsford BB and the cover.

Really only needs a good cleaning. Although I will put new grates in it, new wheels, and some wood.
Think I did great for $40.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 10:54:37 AM »
Absolutely! Congrats on the first redhead.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 11:18:10 AM »
Yer gonna love that beauty! Grate score!!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 11:19:46 AM »
Very nice! Think about getting the new style lid bail as well. You can order all that stuff from Weber and pay $7 shipping for the lot. Don't forget to order the hub caps if you get new wheels.

I'd also go to a hardware store and get about $5 worth of stainless nuts, washers and bolts to replace the rusted hardware (bail, burner assembly)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 11:22:08 AM »
@iCARRY , that looks to be in good shape. Eventually those covers get too tight and split/tear, I suggest this one:

https://www.grillstuff.com/collections/weber-grill-covers/products/weber-performer-charcoal-grill-cover-2004-and-older

Best cover I have owned. 

If the frame is a little wobbly, there are lots of threads on here about star nuts, etc.  Enjoy the SSP....awesome grill.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »
You did great for $40

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

DrewZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »
Congrats.  Nice score.
Drew Z.
70th Anniversary-SSP, A-Code GA, Snap On GA, Blue 18" OTG, Eagles SJ, 18" Tuck-N-Carry Midget, 3-burner Genny Jr., S-320

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 04:40:14 PM »
So how do I go about getting the propane tank filled when I need to? Rookie question I am sure, but it's not a regular connection right? 

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 05:17:43 PM »
I took my 5 lb tank to a local tool rental place that does propane refills. They knew exactly what it was for. They filled it once but said I needed to get it certified before getting it filled again. Uhaul might do it as well. It depends on where you go.