Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2015 Lid Bale Purchase Attempt - DENIED  (Read 3825 times)

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
2015 Lid Bale Purchase Attempt - DENIED
« on: July 31, 2017, 04:32:51 PM »
I wanted to upgrade the lid bale on my DA Blue SSP to the new style 2015 lid bale (part #65188).  I've seen others post about it so I gave Weber CS a call and they refused to sell it to me.  I was surprised.  Didn't expect that at all.

How did you guys acquire the part?  It doesn't appear to be available from ereplacements.  Perhaps I shouldn't have registered my grill.

Whit
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:39:56 PM by cwmfour »

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
Re: 2015 Lid Bale Purchase Attempt - DENIED
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 05:08:36 PM »
https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/grd/d/weber-platinum-performer/6225221518.html

Is this what your looking for?
This is about 30 minutes from me.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »
I wanted to upgrade the lid bale on my DA Blue SSP to the new style 2015 lid bale (part #65188).  I've seen others post about it so I gave Weber CS a call and they refused to sell it to me.  I was surprised.  Didn't expect that at all.

How did you guys acquire the part?  It doesn't appear to be available from ereplacements.  Perhaps I shouldn't have registered my grill.

Whit
Call back and try again.
Sometimes it just depends on the CSR.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
So sorry, @cwmfour  , that's a bummer. 

I'd also try calling back again.  My usual approach is to call later at night, shortly before closing time.  My theory is that newer CS people are on during the day, and they are a little more uptight.  But later in the day, the managers have gone home and the more senior staff are more happy/able to get you what you need.  I really don't think you are breaking any rules here, and I think a reasonable CS person will see it that way.

Another thing that's worked for me is that I buy a lot of grills for friends, rehab them, and pass them on (usually just for my costs).  But whenever I do that, I usually call Weber to order a part or two and I register that grill.  This way, I can refer to one of the more modern Performers when I'm looking for more modern parts. 

One thing I'll say:  this upgrade is totally worth whatever trouble it takes.  Yeah, sure, your cover won't fit anymore, but MAN this is a huge improvement.  I cooked on a friend's conventional SSP and I felt like I was driving a Model T on the interstate. 
One of the charcoal people.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 07:57:37 PM »
Sorry for that. Just trying to help.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 08:41:49 PM »
From what I've heard,  to try and limit mistakes and returns, CSR's are only supposed to sell you parts that are listed for the grill you own.     When you call, they can see a list of what grills you have registered.  They click on the grill you want parts for and  schematic/parts list comes up.

Apparently, the lid bale doesn't show up as a superceding/compatible part.  Another possibility is that on the details page of the old bale, the new one might be listed, but the csr either didn't go that far, or didn't know to.  Difficult to say exactly what happened.

More experienced CSR's will probably know that the new bale is a valid replacement part and would have sold it to you.

One way to try and get around the issue to begin with is when asked, just tell them the specific part number that you want to order.   Be kind of vague if need be with any other information.   

In this case, say "hello, I'd like to order part #65188."

If they ask what it is, tell them it's a lid bale for a Performer.       

If that doesn't work, as kneab said, just call back and speak to another CSR.  When you find one who will sell it to you, you might mention that you called x times before and were refused.  They might try to make it up to you in some way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 03:19:50 AM »
How much is it? I have a 2015 Master Touch that I registered. If you are unsuccessful,  maybe I can order it for you.

cwmfour

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 06:27:08 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the advice.  I think I will call again as suggested and see what happens.   

@CatskillSmoker thanks for the offer to be an agent.  If I am unsuccessful, I may take you up on your offer.  I think the part is about $30.

Whit

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 07:13:26 AM »
Like others you just need to keep at it.  Keep it direct.  Say I need to order this part number.  If they ask, you say what it is.  Act like you know what your doing and you just need to order and be on your way. 

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 02:55:11 PM »
How did you make out with CS?

gsu13

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 01:58:45 PM »
I called today around 6 pm ET (read somewhere on this forum that more experienced CSRs work later in the day) and asked to order part number 65188, BUT the CS still insisted on looking up my account and trying to match that it fit one of my registered grills.  So the easiest thing is to just register a newer grill on your account, even if you don't really own it.  It was $22.07 plus $7 shipping and tax and then I bought some other things for that flat $7 shipping rate.
Black 26, Red SSP, Black SSP
Two Smokey Joes
Spirit 310

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »
I called today around 6 pm ET (read somewhere on this forum that more experienced CSRs work later in the day) and asked to order part number 65188, BUT the CS still insisted on looking up my account and trying to match that it fit one of my registered grills.  So the easiest thing is to just register a newer grill on your account, even if you don't really own it.  It was $22.07 plus $7 shipping and tax and then I bought some other things for that flat $7 shipping rate.

How did you register the grill without the serial number?  Just make one up after the vent code?
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 11:55:11 AM »
When  I called for mine, I just made sure I had the part numbers and spoke like I knew what I was talking about (I don't).

I switched my performer from gas assist to a bowl without, a new lid without thermometer hole, and a new bale.  I think I overwhelmed the CSR a bit with the rapid fire part numbers, so she just sold me what I needed.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 12:53:56 PM »
Ordered many times and never had any problems ordering anything from weber even though I only have 1 kettle registered with them. Just have the part# ready and that's it. No question asked.

JV