Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First WSM  (Read 1421 times)

kemmons

• WKC Brave
First WSM
« on: July 09, 2017, 07:13:31 AM »
I'm pumped.  Been wanting one for awhile.  A buddy of mine that doesn't even have the fever yet went to get a nice red SSP and rotisserie combo and the guy he bought it from had this for sale too.  He text me this morning asking if he got both would I want to buy this one since he already has a Traeger. 

It was a nice surprise prize today as I wasn't even expecting it.  Really looking forward to getting to know this thing

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: First WSM
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 08:57:44 AM »
That’s great! I have been eyeing those up too. Hoping I can find one cheap...

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 09:04:39 AM »
Awesome cooker ! Recently got the WSM 22 and the 18. Smoked a butt last night on the 18. Went to bed last night around 12 with it running 240 and woke up at 6 am with it running 255 and plenty of coal left. Since getting mine I do all my cooks overnight now almost hassle free

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »
I fill my ring up and light 10-15 briquettes and dump in middle. Leave vents wide open till it gets 200 and then close the bottom 3 to  the width of a #2 pencil . That easy ! If it's windy I've had to shut down 2 vents and leave one 1/4

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
First WSM
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »
I've got that same vintage. I installed a lid therm and switched the door to Cajun bandit and new latch. Door and latch made a world of difference to me.

I can leave all vents wide open and it won't go past 275. Before the door, I had to have all vents barely cracked to get down to 275. Now I can cook 225-250 with ease.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:04:08 AM by HoosierKettle »

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »
That's great Kemmons,

You're going to love it. Minion method just like wessonjb suggests works well 95% of the time. When you have the temp dialed in it will hold for a very long time.

Get yourself a good thermometer with a grate probe and you're all set...for now. Then get the CB door and guru eyelets.

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 11:19:29 AM »
Everyone who said you'll love it is right. Take that poultry stand that's in the picture, put a whole turkey on it, and set it on the bottom rack. Cook it with just a little bit of smoke wood. When you're finished, multiply the weight of the turkey by the price per pound of smoked turkey at the deli. Voila... you almost paid for the WSM in one cook.  ;)

kemmons

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 06:00:45 AM »
Can't wait for this weekend to fire it up right. 

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »
Congrats on the find, it's a really great smoker! I concur with the CB door, but I also bought the WSM gasket kit on Amazon that works very well.  I also added a Pitmaster IQ 130 to it and that added a higher level of ease to my cooks.  I chose the IQ purely out of civic pride because it is made in O'Fallon, MO.