Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Got The Weber Gourmet Grate  (Read 4204 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Got The Weber Gourmet Grate
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 05:53:56 AM »
@1buckie......Thanks for that info. My wok is a good size and if I put the coal bins in the center the wok touches. So the pile of coals will work unless I am making something that indirect can be done

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:57:09 AM by clarissa »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Got The Weber Gourmet Grate
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 06:12:22 AM »
OK....cool beans.....I kinda wonder if anyone has issues w/ the wok used like this scratching the ends of the rods on the grate?

I guess if you're not dancing it around a whole bunch it wouldn't make that big of a difference?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 06:30:39 AM »
OK....cool beans.....I kinda wonder if anyone has issues w/ the wok used like this scratching the ends of the rods on the grate?

I guess if you're not dancing it around a whole bunch it wouldn't make that big of a difference?

What do you mean about scratching?  Will I get rust on the grate?  I may still get a different wok but wanted to see how this would work first since I don't wok that often. Do I need a wok that has short handles that rest on the grate for support?  I can always use this on top of the grate like cooking inside
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:33:03 AM by clarissa »

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 07:42:12 AM »
I wouldn't spend $55 on the Weber cast iron wok .. the carbon steel woks you can buy at your local Asian stores are much better in conducting heat and easier to handle .. and much cheaper too. Search for vortex + wok on this forum.

I gather your carbon steel Wok is "flat bottom", if so, how many inches at the bottom of the Wok as I am thinking of buying one to compliment my GSG?

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 07:47:14 AM »
Sear grate is useless, the wok s invaluable

Why is your Sear Grate Useless??

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 07:53:44 AM »

I already have a nice wok that I have used for years. I just set it in the grate to see how far down it goes. A few inches...so if I were to cook with it the layer of coals below should not touch, right?  I don't really stir fry that much and use my wok for sautéing veggies like bok choy or various greens.   So this will be fine and I really dont need the Weber wok.

I gather that you Wok is "flat bottom, so, how many inches wide at the bottom of your Wok?

I am also have the Weber Gourmet grate along with the Weber Gourmet System Pizza Pan, Korean BBQ Insert and Sear Grate which were real goo purchases.

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »
I use the vortex with that grate and set my wok on a wire stand from the wok shop, works really good and get that real high you need for stir fry
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 08:45:13 AM »
"I gather that you Wok is "flat bottom, so, how many inches wide at the bottom of your Wok? "

My wok is a 14" Nordic Ware Asian Wok that I have had for many years. The flat bottom measures 6"

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 08:54:11 AM by clarissa »

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 09:20:32 AM »
I use the Mr BBQ CI Wok with that grate.

Much cheaper than the Weber version.

Sent from my Rotary Phone via 14.4kb/s

Dude, relax your chicken.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 09:30:09 AM »

I use the Mr BBQ CI Wok with that grate.

Much cheaper than the Weber version.

Thanks. Will check that out. So a wok needs to be CI?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »
Nope

I just like it for the grate system

I also have the original (steel) Weber Wok - the big one that doesn't use a grate

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 01:08:01 PM »
Sorry, unless you meant with the GBS. A steel wok would be fine, it's just the CI wok doesn't slide as much for me as when I use a steel one. 

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2017, 02:31:56 PM »
I wouldn't spend $55 on the Weber cast iron wok .. the carbon steel woks you can buy at your local Asian stores are much better in conducting heat and easier to handle .. and much cheaper too. Search for vortex + wok on this forum.

I also bought the GBS system and got the sear grate, Korean BBQ insert, chicken roaster .. all fancy items that I could have have done without getting them, but crowd pleasers when I have company around :-)
I agree. I have a hand hammered wok I bought oh I think 25 yrs ago. I used it on that grate. Much better than on the stove.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 08:57:53 AM »

I have that same SS table. Works good. The gbs grate works great with a vortex btw. Grill on sister!

Went to Target and got these $6 metal shelves to utilize my space a bit better. Works well till I can find something better..

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 09:11:29 AM »
You nailed it clarissa. I love that grate system. And I use a standard carbon steel wok in it.  :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.