Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Got The Weber Gourmet Grate  (Read 4208 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Got The Weber Gourmet Grate
« on: June 10, 2017, 11:02:50 AM »
Figured to go ahead and get the grate and then buy the accessories as needed. Definitely want the griddle and wok and possibly the searing grate. Will use it tonight unless it rains.

Other new "stuff"
A stainless top bbq station so now I have plenty of storage room

A stainless paella pan

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Re: Got The Weber Gourmet Grate
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 11:06:33 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 01:59:03 PM »
   "Plenty of storage room" Ha,ha,ha,ha. Maybe for that one grill. If memory serves me correctly I think theres nine accessories for the GBS system. Have fun obtaining them.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 02:32:37 PM »
Sear grate is useless, the wok s invaluable
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 03:31:09 PM »
I have that same SS table. Works good. The gbs grate works great with a vortex btw. Grill on sister!
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »
I wouldn't spend $55 on the Weber cast iron wok .. the carbon steel woks you can buy at your local Asian stores are much better in conducting heat and easier to handle .. and much cheaper too. Search for vortex + wok on this forum.

I also bought the GBS system and got the sear grate, Korean BBQ insert, chicken roaster .. all fancy items that I could have have done without getting them, but crowd pleasers when I have company around :-)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 04:25:34 PM »
I was thinking of starting with the griddle then wok. Don't need the chicken roaster because I would rather use my new rotisserie. I will read posts about the wok before I buy one.......thanks for the suggestion. Th vortex interests me tho....and may be my next purchase. In the meantime I have the charcoal baskets to use loaded high in the center 

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »

I wouldn't spend $55 on the Weber cast iron wok .. the carbon steel woks you can buy at your local Asian stores are much better in conducting heat and easier to handle .. and much cheaper too......

I already have a nice wok that I have used for years. I just set it in the grate to see how far down it goes. A few inches...so if I were to cook with it the layer of coals below should not touch, right?  I don't really stir fry that much and use my wok for sautéing veggies like bok choy or various greens.   So this will be fine and I really dont need the Weber wok.

Now what about the pizza stone?

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 05:10:13 PM »

I have that same SS table. Works good. The gbs grate works great with a vortex btw. Grill on sister!

It is just the right size for our small space. Now I have to figure the best way to organize things.......and probably stop buying more stuff lol.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 05:51:45 PM »

I wouldn't spend $55 on the Weber cast iron wok .. the carbon steel woks you can buy at your local Asian stores are much better in conducting heat and easier to handle .. and much cheaper too......

I already have a nice wok that I have used for years. I just set it in the grate to see how far down it goes. A few inches...so if I were to cook with it the layer of coals below should not touch, right?  I don't really stir fry that much and use my wok for sautéing veggies like bok choy or various greens.   So this will be fine and I really dont need the Weber wok.

Now what about the pizza stone?

Clarissa, here's about how much coal I use for deep fry,using a large original Weber wok:

The wok itself is 5" deep (rim top to center) & sits approx. 3" down below the actual Kettle rim.....

that will get a good 350~375f batch of oil going....

So, maybe just a bit more for saute, for a shorter but slightly hotter duration I would think....
Short answer is no, it doesn't need to touch the bottom, just a pile pointed up near the lowest point of the wok....
I keep an 18" Kettle next to it, then jump the wok over, keeping warmed up with coals going there, if I need to add any heat to the main cooking Kettle...

As for the pizza stone, I don't have that setup, but have seen folks say that it's pretty small for what they wanted to do....might could check the local Walmarts to see if there's any of those closeout Kettle Pizza attachments left....$40 was a tremendous deal for those...

They seem to me to work amazingly well....

(yeah, I know....more stuff, but hey, ya got a snazzy new storage table to put it in !!!)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »
 ............yeah, I know....more stuff, but hey, ya got a snazzy new storage table to put it in !!!)
[/quote]

Ha ha no more big stuff.  This is what I had to do with my rotisserie so it was not stored constantly on my kettle allowing rain water to get in.  Our heater room is tiny but I was able to hang the rim, basket, roti rod, and some skewers. I also keep my bag of coals in there to the side. But that is the limit........we are in a tiny townhouse lol

Playdough

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 06:35:13 PM »
Where did the table come from? I need something like that and that looks perfect.
E-Code 22" Black
M-Code 22" Black

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »

Where did the table come from? I need something like that and that looks perfect.

Got it at our local Sam's Club for $150. I see it on Amazon for a lot more........Outdoor Entertainment Station by Keter.

mdb240

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 08:10:27 PM »
Not sure why but my Gourmet grate started rusting after a year. I'm going to call Weber about it but it would be nice to know what is going on, it was even stored in the garage.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Got The Weber Gourmet Grate
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 05:51:32 AM »
Short answer is no, it doesn't need to touch the bottom, just a pile pointed up near the lowest point of the wok....

(This was supposed to be a quote from @1buckie for the post below)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:56:38 AM by clarissa »