Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning/Scraping WSM?  (Read 3495 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Cleaning/Scraping WSM?
« on: June 08, 2017, 06:45:36 AM »
I'm doing a thorough cleaning on a special one-off, cooked on 18" WSM. The smaller diameter of the bowl and lid make it about impossible to use a razor blade scraper, yet I need that cleaning capability to get through some stuff. Does anyone know of a good alternative that won't hurt the porcelain? Thanks![/size]
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

jerr7

• Smokey Joe
Re: Cleaning/Scraping WSM?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:10:44 AM »
Try using Oven cleaner and let sit for couple hours and then use hard bristle brush, depending how much gunk you have on might have to do again but it worked for me and didn't scratch  the porcelin
good luck
Weber 22in Touch,Kamado Joe Classic
weber 18 in  kettle
weber Q 10

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Cleaning/Scraping WSM?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »
I used simple green and 0000 steel wool on a WSM 22 I bought. Worked really well and is non toxic . On the dirtier thicker grease places had to do go over it a couple times , but worked

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:32:50 AM by wessonjb »

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 10:51:32 PM »
Oven cleaner (or Sodium Hydroxide) is great for the enamel section.  HOWEVER, it will eat any aluminum that it touches  ...  as well as your flesh.   Yes, let it set for a while before you start to scrub, and repeat as needed.   Never used Simple Green but Crud Kutter (sp?) is effective on buildup that isn't too burnt in.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 02:34:08 AM »
Bar keepers friend with simple green.
Scotch brite ss scrub pad.

Let bar keepers friend sit fir a few mins with simple green degreaser sprayed on it..to activate BKF.

Always worked to get down to the porcelain for me.

Grills

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 03:51:26 AM »
I guess I am the odd ball, I have never officially cleaned mine. I have lit a nice hot fire and wire brushed it down, but never anything too serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 05:01:20 AM »
I use a razor blade.. It will work on something that is greasy but nor burnt.
Oven cleaner doesn't break down the burnt on crud.
Well it does if you spray it on nice and thick, stick the bowl or lid in a plastic trash bag, seal it up.
Come back in a week.. It just takes longer to work.
Leave the bag in the sun if you can. But avoid children and pets. Its nasty stuff.

How does simple green activate bar keepers friend? Some special chemical reaction? @toolhead
Simple green is soap and BKF is a mild cleanser. Just curious.

Avoid the scotch brite pads unless they are as fine as 0000 steel wool
I use cheap SOS pads from the dollar store to scrub off the basics.
Dawn dish soap is the best at breaking down grease.
Use the 0000 to polish to a shine.

A WSM relies on a build up to help regulate temps, so if you clean it off, its like getting a new WSM and starting over.

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 05:19:40 AM »
I use a razor blade.. It will work on something that is greasy but nor burnt.
Oven cleaner doesn't break down the burnt on crud.
Well it does if you spray it on nice and thick, stick the bowl or lid in a plastic trash bag, seal it up.
Come back in a week.. It just takes longer to work.
Leave the bag in the sun if you can. But avoid children and pets. Its nasty stuff.

How does simple green activate bar keepers friend? Some special chemical reaction? @toolhead
Simple green is soap and BKF is a mild cleanser. Just curious.

Avoid the scotch brite pads unless they are as fine as 0000 steel wool
I use cheap SOS pads from the dollar store to scrub off the basics.
Dawn dish soap is the best at breaking down grease.
Use the 0000 to polish to a shine.

A WSM relies on a build up to help regulate temps, so if you clean it off, its like getting a new WSM and starting over.

You want bkf to be applied moist ad let it sit on stubborn areas.. you can use water to activate it..but i use SGD bc i want the xtra cleaning power.

with dry powder based cleansers you want to apply it moist to surface to activate it
Grills

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 06:49:41 AM »
I say no to over cleaner, that stuff is so nasty and there are other ways to clean, listed above.

Just say no to oven cleaner.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 04:15:26 PM »
Razor blade

Simple green or similar

3M pad

Steel wool

Stainless steel cleaner & polish http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weiman-17-oz-Stainless-Steel-Cleaner-and-Polish-Aerosol-49/205307094

In that order
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 04:22:30 AM »
Simple Green also makes an oven/grill cleaner.
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

Krex1010

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 03:08:54 PM »
Personally I would avoid using any chemicals or cleaners.....besides that gunk build up helps seal the door and lids and even moderates temps......when it's really bad I'll brush off any residue that looks like it will start flaking off but I don't do anything more than that.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »
I've had good luck with Simple Green, especially when the concentrate is diluted with HOT water.

Re: Barkeeper's Friend. I'm comfortable using the powdered product, but I wouldn't let it sit too long. I'd scrub and rinse quickly. I will never use the liquid Barkeeper's Friend on a kettle again. I was using it on my new 26" in the sun and the cleaner dried on there and somehow etched the porcelain, leaving white swirls that were absolutely etched into the porcelain. Nothing would get them out. That liquid has some sort of acid in it that IMO shouldn't make contact with kettles.

And Finally, 0000 steel wool used gently will help without causing any damage.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 08:14:51 AM »
I guess I am the odd ball, I have never officially cleaned mine. I have lit a nice hot fire and wire brushed it down, but never anything too serious.

^^^^ Me too
Why do you have to clean it so thoroughly?  If there's no chunks on the walls, I just leave it as seasoning.
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 08:07:57 PM »

^^^^ Me too
Why do you have to clean it so thoroughly?  If there's no chunks on the walls, I just leave it as seasoning.

I believe he needed it cleaned so he could trade it for a glen blue kettle....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"