Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is there a market for small tab reproduction vents?  (Read 1183 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Is there a market for small tab reproduction vents?
« on: May 31, 2017, 07:13:39 AM »
Or is someone already making/selling them? If not and there's a market, I think I've got a guy.
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: Is there a market for small tab reproduction vents?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 07:36:40 AM »
I think if they can be attached with OEM rivets, there would be a market.
The idea of keeping an old grill 100% authentic would be awesome.
If course they would need to be Perfect Reproductions.
I know some members are working on riveting handles, but vents are a different beast.
Im sure it could be done..
The cost would be the Key Factor.
@Rub
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 07:38:12 AM »
People just cut down the modern big tabs and make even small.  They use a snips and a file....

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

UserGone

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »
I see this old way of dealing with this issue changing.
I am one of those few that are working on finding an OEM rivet approach.
 These next couple years are going to change the way we collect kettles.
There are plenty of damaged lids and bowls that still have perfect vents. Defiantly worth removing these vents before scrapping the badly rusted beyond repair kettles to use as spares.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 08:22:35 PM »
I see this old way of dealing with this issue changing.
I am one of those few that are working on finding an OEM rivet approach.
 These next couple years are going to change the way we collect kettles.
There are plenty of damaged lids and bowls that still have perfect vents. Defiantly worth removing these vents before scrapping the badly rusted beyond repair kettles to use as spares.

I agree that is one of the best approaches. I doubt that many small tab vent grills get scrapped by people in the know.
If someone needs to just get a grill up and running, the big tab vents are available.
If you need to get a new stamped top vent and can't find one, a reproduction would be great.
Its all about quality and price..  8)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 05:36:21 AM »
I think like anything it comes down to the price point.  If you're working on a cooker, snips and a file work great. The only problems with that are the date code on the new vents and the 22.5 vents have the cross lines on them as opposed to being smooth. However, you can get a set of three vents for <$20.  (Here are some pics of Hogsy's work )

That being said, I have a grill that could use a new vent that I would like to keep as original as possible. I'd be in for a reproduction. 

@Smokin Performer - I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with on the vent rivets.

Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 06:13:16 AM »

I think like anything it comes down to the price point.  If you're working on a cooker, snips and a file work great. The only problems with that are the date code on the new vents and the 22.5 vents have the cross lines on them as opposed to being smooth. However, you can get a set of three vents for <$20.  (Here are some pics of Hogsy's work )

That being said, I have a grill that could use a new vent that I would like to keep as original as possible. I'd be in for a reproduction. 

@Smokin Performer - I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with on the vent rivets.

Actually since 2015 the large dual tab daisy vents are no longer date stamped. I put a new set on a lime and a blue MBH (1974-75 & 1978, respectively) and they are perfect with zero two letter date codes.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 06:14:59 AM »
And yes I have done the snips and file method. It works great if you're not bothered by the raised bubble lines that weren't on the old small tab vents. Plus you can't see the bubble lines when looking at the kettle upright anyway...