Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: MOLD  (Read 3581 times)

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
MOLD
« on: May 24, 2017, 06:51:18 AM »
What is the best way to get rid of some mold inside my WSM 18" "Classic" Cooker?  Also, how do you prevent it?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: MOLD
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 06:56:31 AM »
Are you sure that it is mold, not smoke stains and built up carbon?

To prevent it, store your WSM with the vents open in a dry location.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 09:01:18 AM »
Burn real hot load of charcoal. It should destroy anything you might worry about.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Don_

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »
I agree with JoeTee's statement; fire it up without the waterpan, and grates for an hour or so...not much gonna live through that. Then brush out the carbon, and fire it up again with the water pan empty, and the grates in...and cleanse them with heat. Scrub them down good, and cook on...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Homerdog

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 03:15:23 PM »
Just use rocket fuel. ;D
https://youtu.be/AjuXrxHcFfg

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 04:24:04 PM »
Just use rocket fuel. ;D
https://youtu.be/AjuXrxHcFfg
wait, not everyone uses a whole bottle of lighter fluid per chimney? and a whole packet of lighter cubes? lol

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 08:53:02 PM »
Take it apart and wash it out first. Spray some cleaner or something then rinse it.
Then make a really hot fire. REALLY HOT.. You need to scrub it again after it cools..
Mold is no joke, better safe than sorry.
If you live in any kid of wet climate, it needs to be stored in a very dry place
The cover won't keep out moisture. Water will collect under the lid and in the bottom of the bowl.
Even with the vents open.
It may sound overkill but mold is NO Joke.

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »
Never had a mold problem and I live in Florida. I keep all my vents closed, cover on and in my garage. If I did have a mold problem, I would scrape it out good, fire up a hot fire and burn it out. Bleach kills mold. Maybe spray it on, scrape, rinse/wash very good and burn it out.

tibas92017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 08:18:55 AM »
I fired-up my WSM a couple to times and with a little "elbow grease" it appears that my Mold problem is solved-for-now. I plan on doing some of those excellent suggestions above in order to control the mold situation and Fire-up my WSM at least once or twice monthly.

We are now in the rainy season here in Costa Rica in which my WSM is stationed in a covered open-air carport.  The general Weather pattern now in San Jose, Costa Rica is bright hot sun in the mornings and heavy rains starting in the early PM, so, lots of humidity.

Many thanx to you Forum Members that responded to my WSM situation.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:23:30 AM by tibas92017 »

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 03:31:54 PM »
I hose mine out and then fire it up cor an hour...or if its been a while i fire up a self clean session...full coals and all vents WO.

The only way to prevent it is:

Keep you door off for air
And keep empyting out the charcoal bowl which collect water and causes the mold problem due to moisture

This is maintenance i dont have time for..so i will remove the door when i remember and leave it off fir a week or so to mitigate mold.

I basically just bake in the time to hose and fire it up for an hr when im smoking so it doesnt throw off my schedule

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 03:33:37 PM by toolhead »
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 03:34:39 PM »
Never had a mold problem and I live in Florida. I keep all my vents closed, cover on and in my garage. If I did have a mold problem, I would scrape it out good, fire up a hot fire and burn it out. Bleach kills mold. Maybe spray it on, scrape, rinse/wash very good and burn it out.

Im envious...you habe a lot of garage space
Grills

vader06

• WKC Ranger
MOLD
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 09:00:40 AM »
It is a bad smoker.  You cannot use it anymore.  Just send it to me I will take care of it. :)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:26:00 AM by vader06 »
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

Krex1010

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 03:01:29 PM »
I've had this happen a few times.......I just brushed the mold off and let it heat up for a bit longer before I started cooking.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 05:55:25 PM »
My WSM I store at my inlaws house always has mold. I keep vents open and door off but it still gets mold. It's a very humid environment near the coast.

Typically I scrub the WSM with bleach, spray it off, then light a hot fire and let it go for as long as possible.

Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 06:31:41 PM »
I agree with a thorough scraping & cleaning followed by a high heat burn.

Also, if you use water I would suggest switching to sand. I had the same problem on two occasions when I was slow to clean out the smoker after a cook. It hasn't happened since a switched to sand about two years ago.