Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie Question  (Read 3044 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Rotisserie Question
« on: May 09, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »
Newbie here. I just unpacked my rotisserie and there are two holes in the base rim and some screws. Does this have to be screwed to my kettle bowl or does it just set onto it?  It is supposed to be removed when you are not doing a roto, correct, not a permanent thing.

Also, there is a counter weight in the box. Am I supposed to use that for a chicken?  The instructions are lousy.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Rotisserie Question
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 03:36:25 PM »
It just sits on top. Not permanent.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 03:39:25 PM »
are they the screws that hold the bracket for the motor to fit on?
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 03:44:03 PM »
After looking at the pics in the instructions, I think it has to do with models that have the lid holder that is screwed into the kettle. Mine does not have that.

Plugged it in and it runs just fine. Really looking forward to roasting my first chicken tomorrow

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 03:59:07 PM »
One more question......do I put the grate back in the kettle and the drip pan on that under the chicken? 

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 04:05:09 PM »
No top grate.
Drip pan in the middle.
One charcoal basket on each side or just on the one. Either way works. I think two crisps skin up a little better. Maybe a small chunk of wood on one side. Put the lid on and let spin about an hour and 15 minutes or so. Maybe longer if you have a big bird.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 05:13:28 PM »
Thank you.  I just want to get it all right for my first roto meal.  Really looking forward to it.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 04:57:04 AM »
You can screw the ring into the kettle, but most people don't.

As for the counter-weight, again most people don't seem to use it. It only takes a minute to setup so I usually do to put less stress on the motor. Here is what I do: put the chicken on the spit, place the spit on the grill with no motor (heavy side will naturally go down), install the counter-weight facing straight up, adjust the counter-weight up/down until the spit rotates freely. The counter-weight goes between the wood handle and the black cap on the spit. That black piece unscrews.

Hope that helps and good luck with the first cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 05:12:20 AM »
All good advice. Here's a visual aid:

Roti.s are a blast. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 05:21:45 AM by charred »
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »
I use 2 charcoal baskets and one SS drip pan, some times 2 pans depending on what I'm cooking .
This is how it starts, then add the drip pan and skip the cooking grate.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 01:07:06 PM »
Here are my pans.

2 pans for the chicken and a pineapple .

Play with the rotisserie and you will love it as much as I and everyone else does.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 03:48:10 PM »
Thanks for the visual.  That pineapple sure looks great.  I have one here and thought about coring and grilling it, but what you did is better. I may do a pork roast soon and roto the pineapple like yours

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 04:18:31 PM »

Thanks for the visual.  That pineapple sure looks great.  I have one here and thought about coring and grilling it, but what you did is better. I may do a pork roast soon and roto the pineapple like yours
Do it!
All the advice is spot on, you really can't go wrong with the rotisserie. I think it's the single greatest kettle accessory, every thing else can be worked around. But you can't fake the spin...ahh the self-basting.
In fact I've got a stuffed pork loin on right now

Good luck, you're gonna love it!

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 10:25:23 PM »
100% with WNC . I think it's the best thing you can do for you Weber . And the pork loin looks great WNC!
In no time your rotisserie will be your go to item when it comes to easy and perfect cooks.

Things to think about and remember :

Roti rod gets super HOT ! Wear good gloves when you take it off the grill !

Remember that it is also enameled and be careful not to bump it around ! I saved the box to store it in!

Always cook with the lid on! I know it's fun to watch it go around but if your looking your not cooking!

Keep us posted and share photos !

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 10:34:37 PM »
Im probably going to pick up a rotisserie here shortly. Always wanted to do a chicken this way. Looks great though
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ