Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Okay..so you have 3 years before the dremel has to come out on the wsm  (Read 2025 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
I upgraded my 18.5" wsm hardware to 300 series ss after 2 years...no problem...

I uograded my 14.5" wsm today... 3 years old...the nickel plated pos hw that weber ships with wsms...was starting to rust freeze the nuts to bolts...managed to remove without busting out dremel...but if i waited much longer they would have rust frozen and i wouldve spent an hr plus cutting the nuts off...which ive done before.

When upgrading your hw..have reolacement fiber washers...

The oem pos washers disinegrate when trying ti remove...some were melted to the wsm and i had ti use a mud knife to scrape the mess off.

Anyone else wonder which rocket scientist engineer thought it would be a good idea to use flathead bolts on the wsm where you have only several inches fir the bottom leg bolt access....where you cant easily access the bolt with screwdriver.

I uograde all the bolts to hex head which is the only way to go...easy to work with a socket head and easily torques in with the narrow headroom you have for the leg bolts.
Grills

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Shortly after I got mine I did, and thought, the same as you did . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
@Big Dawg  okay.. so im not the only one whom know that the flathead bolts on the legs is completely backwards.

not sure what weber was thinking..

if you haven't bought a new wsm and assembled yourself.. you wouldn't appreciate how backwards the use of a flathead bolt is on the legs.. it boggles the common sense
Grills

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
In 3 years you have to throw your whole charbroil grill away in comparison [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
I agree @toolhead, I don't know anyone who uses flathead screws/bolts by choice anymore except Weber.

Not a big problem, just curious as to why . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna