Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hanging Ribs!!!  (Read 15434 times)

jrob0144

• Smokey Joe
Hanging Ribs!!!
« on: March 28, 2017, 05:37:50 PM »
Anybody ever tried the rib hanger rack made by gateway drum smokers on their WSM?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Jesse Robinson

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
Re: Hanging Ribs!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 06:34:52 PM »
I have used it in a 30 gallon drum.  Pretty solid unit.

jrob0144

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 06:59:42 PM »
Good to hear Josh. I only have a WSM and I'm having hard time finding their hanging rack for sale anywhere. Apparently they discontinued it. I'm hoping someone can attest to the fit of the Gateway rack in their WSM.

Jesse Robinson

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 09:30:40 PM »
I'll measure mine and let you know

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 02:42:26 AM »
So I found this

https://www.amazon.com/Gateway-Grill-Rib-Hanger-Kit/dp/B00ZNPI5Z4

but I think this will only work on a 22.

I also found this for a 30 gal

https://www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/Rib-Hanger-Kit-p/10630.htm
I think this is what you are looking at, right?

Looks like cabela's sells these, if you have one close maybe it could be ordered and returned if it doesn't fit.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/GATEWAY-DRUM-RIB-HANGER-KIT/2344641.uts?productVariantId=4809893&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04572831&rid=20&gclid=Cj0KEQjwtu3GBRDY6ZLY1erL44EBEiQAAKIcvj9qM3lgiTXfCZXu2Df7sgeDqNQ9qk2UeZeZUhmRWjsaAs5z8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I really like this rack if it fits, I actually have the Weber rack but honestly I am not sure how will it will hold up to a decent sized brisket.

If this works I may convert to it down the road.

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

noreaster

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 03:22:49 AM »
Good to hear Josh. I only have a WSM and I'm having hard time finding their hanging rack for sale anywhere. Apparently they discontinued it. I'm hoping someone can attest to the fit of the Gateway rack in their WSM.

I ordered a weber hanging rack for the 18 wsm from this place a week or so ago
Fosters Grill Store
107 Eastern Avenue
Gloucester, MA 01930
978-283-1275
Think they will have it as they have a parts warehouse.
They just mailed it to me with no shipping charge. Heard about this place from capt Joe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 04:51:49 AM »
I wrote to Gateway and asked this is their response.

================================
Hi Jeff,

Our 30 gallon rib hanger measures 17.5 inches across and is 5 inches tall. It should fit an 18 WSM but it wouldn’t hurt to measure first just in case.

Thank you!

Kelly Heberle

Gateway Drum Smokers

477 WW Industrial Park Drive

Washington, MO 63090

636-390-9898

www.gatewaydrumsmokers.com
================================
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 07:52:01 AM »
The only thing with the gateway ones is that they angle in about an 1.5" on each side so you lose about 3" of cooking space.  I emailed them pictures and was told that their stock image does angle in and it is just an illusion of the image.  It clearly does not though.  You can see pictures of it running up the inside wall of the drum.  Just a heads up.  As you will not be able to get as much on these as you think.  Maybe 3 chicken halves per side or 3 racks of ribs per side. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:13:10 AM by Josh G »

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 05:27:10 AM »
I'm a Hunsaker Smokers kinda guy and have one of their new style hangers. I'll have to upload some pics, but its the same style as the new Gateway.

I made some hangers out of barrel hoops, eye bolts and round rod that I use in my 30 gallon drum and Gateway clone.

Also have the Weber 22" Hanging rack that I use in a BPS can, a Hunsaker clone and the Pellet Poopin' WSM

I find it hard to believe that Gateway would discontinue a hanging rack-its part of the ICP allure.

Order one from their site.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 05:29:39 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 07:51:08 AM »
What about buying one of those cheap "replacement" grates and hack saw off most of the racks, leaving 2 or three to hang stuff from?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:55:36 AM by EricD »
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 09:31:03 AM »
I like the hangers that you made Swamp

Here is the Gateway I have so you can see how it actually is.

b2.jpg" border="0
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:47:32 AM by Josh G »

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 09:57:04 AM »
From their Site:

c2.jpg" border="0

a.jpg" border="0

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 04:12:05 PM »
What about buying one of those cheap "replacement" grates and hack saw off most of the racks, leaving 2 or three to hang stuff from?

I've done that!

Only problem was that it really only worked on the top grate of the 22" WSM and not in my drums since the grate level is @6" from the top.

On the WSM it wasn't really high enough for rib hanging, but great for chicken, tri-tip etc.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jrob0144

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 05:27:27 PM »
Josh, after seeing your hanger from gateway I am pretty sure it will fit well in my WSM. I was worried about the lid closing with the rack inside. With it angled like that I don't think it will be an issue.

Jesse Robinson

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »
Josh, after seeing your hanger from gateway I am pretty sure it will fit well in my WSM. I was worried about the lid closing with the rack inside. With it angled like that I don't think it will be an issue.

Yes that's a very good point.  The angle would probably help with the curved lid of the WSM.