Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How long of a snake for my first brisket?  (Read 1698 times)

Waxteeth

• Smokey Joe
How long of a snake for my first brisket?
« on: March 24, 2017, 03:45:07 PM »
I just picked up a 22" Premium and for my first go I'm going to do a brisket.

I'm planning on using one from Costco and looking at them they are VERY well trimmed up and not very big at all. I'm guessing they were under 10lbs.

Anyhow my plan after reading here is to do a 2x2 stack snake at least 20 long + some start up coals. Without ever having done a snake I've got no idea how long it will go and I'm not sure if you can simply add more coals to the front end and twist the grate if it looks like I'll run out or if just doing a half chimney and adding them via the flip up door is the way to go.

What do you guys think is a good size to go with 20+?? Also I want to avoid using tin foil so I'm reading that will add time.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How long of a snake for my first brisket?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 04:27:29 PM »
I'm guessing you mean you're making a 20" snake. Not sure if measurements but for a brisket, I'd have that snake going around the entire bowl, with just enough space left to have your lit coals not touch the end. Plan on refueling your snake.. take notes and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waxteeth

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
I read some instructions that said lay out 20 coals, 20 more right beside them, then another layer on top.

But....your idea sounds like it's what I should do for sure because I'll learn what a full ring (almost full) will do.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »
And if the beef is done before the coals run out then close the vents...No problem...

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 10:16:29 AM »
Yeah, just go almost all the way round.....then add or just shut down if it makes it thru on the first batch of coals.....
Pile up two, then one or two on that & wood chunks....adjust the bottom vents to maybe half open, top all open for free exhaust so you don't choke the fire......
Rotate the meat hunk a few times to keep it off the burn area if needed......ribs  (long narrower piece)  work generally the same way.........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Waxteeth

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 04:13:16 PM »
Here is what I learned so far on my first attempt.

My snake easily burned for 8 hours and held ridiculously close to 225 the entire time.
However my brisket stalked at 155 and it was obvious I need more fuel to get this done so I started a 1/2 chimney and tossed it all in one corner. I'm pretty confident this will work to finish things out.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 11:04:03 AM »
So how did it turn out?
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Waxteeth

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 01:00:12 PM »
So how did it turn out?
It was very good for my first attempt I think. The smoke flavor is very good even if the ring isn't super deep. I think it's just about exactly what I'd do again.

The tenderness is good but I feel that next time I'll start sooner because I did raise temps towards the end and feel like if I hadn't it would have been better but I was hungry [emoji5]

The bark was pretty much what I'd do again too...it was better than I was prepared for as a first go.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 02:06:46 PM »
WOW!!  ^^^^ That looks fantastic ^^^^   

You cannot go wrong with the advice above, especially buckie's … I think he does the snake blindfolded … Can't confirm that …

My first kettle-cooked brisket went like this …. I got lucky, too ….

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/brisket-made-easy-with-a-weber-kettle/

I have since cooked 2-3 brisket (separately) on that very same kettle with great results.

Keep at it!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 03:00:44 PM »
Man that looks great, the bark looks incredible!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »
That looks so delicious! Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow