Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Performer vs OTG  (Read 3658 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Performer vs OTG
« on: March 03, 2017, 11:07:48 AM »
I'm wondering if any grillfellas have performers and OTGs and think they could easily downsize to just a few OTGs. Bottom line is I'm considering selling a performer which is my go to cooker which will leave me with some OTGs and an older MT.

My only problem with the performer that annoys the hell out of me is how the charcoal bin tilts out. Not sure why, but it does. I love having the side table but I could always use a patio table to stage or even get some plywood and make one.  Thoughts please. Thanks for the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Performer vs OTG
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 11:11:55 AM »
"I love having the side table but I could always use a patio table to stage or even get some plywood and make one"

Sounds like you answered your own question right here. You could also remove the charcoal tilt bin and figure out your own storage. Do what makes you happy.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »
Charcoal bin only tilts out if you pull it out. If it bothers you that much, remove it like pbe gummi bear mentioned and use that area for other storage solution.  For me it is always nice to have a performer with the table and a gas assist lighting even if I can pull up another kettle or table beside it.

If it came down to a space issue and I could keep only 2 stand alone kettle ( for me would be MT) vs 1 performer, I might go with 2 MT.  It is hard to say and something I don't want to think about.... but don't follow the crowd, do what is right for you.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:01:53 PM by greenweb »

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 01:03:10 PM »
Personally, I would get rid of everything else before my performer. It's just so convenient.

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »
Remove the charcoal bin and bend the wire rack where the bin sits slightly inward to add more tension to the bin "feet".  This should prevent it from moving so freely.  Keep em all!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 04:49:33 PM »
I like that idea Steve! Have you done it before?

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

SteveMBH

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 04:54:59 PM »
Yeah.  Not sure what happened but  they got bent out.  I would go outside and the bin would be hanging out.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 05:31:38 PM »
Yep. That's my issue with it. A light breeze and you hear the bin fly open. Thanks for the tips and suggestions fellas. As always if I do sell anything the WKC gets first dibs.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 05:36:43 PM »
Yep. That's my issue with it. A light breeze and you hear the bin fly open. Thanks for the tips and suggestions fellas. As always if I do sell anything the WKC gets first dibs.

You could always put a short bungee on it to keep it pulled in until you need it.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »
I'm new to the performer and really like it's conveniences but I have already gravitated back to using the ots and 26 just like I have done for years. I have a dedicated expanded steel black patio table that serves me well. Honestly, I think the attached table is an annoyance. After cooking for so long with access to all sides of the grill, the table just seems in the way and easily replaced by a simple patio table that can be used by all of the grills. It's too new and can't part with it yet but right now it would be the first to go. Gas assist is nice but no big deal when you have a lighting routine down without it.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 07:15:31 PM »
Great question by the way. I would take a otg any day.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 07:41:14 PM »
Take my opinion with a grain of salt. I've been known to change my mind once I've had the opportunity to use a grill for awhile.  Ultimately it comes down to the individual and what features in a grill best suit them.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 10:03:52 PM »
I really like the convenience of having the table right there. I don't have to set up a tray or lay whatever on a patio table nearby. That being said. I cook on stand alone kettles more now than I do the performer, but still use the table. I do however keep all the junk one needs for grilling in that charcoal bin. Weird, I've never had it come open before.
All that being said, the performer would be the first to go if I downsized.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2017, 12:15:56 AM »
Personally, I would get rid of everything else before my performer. It's just so convenient.
I'm with @AZ Monsoon. Because the area where I use the grill is so far from where the kitchens or office where I prep and eat my food   I like the side table and storage in which I keep cleaning supplies, some wood chips/chunks and welders gloves.

Alas there's no perfect answer. It's all how you use your setup. Lots has to do with how YOU use your grill.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:21:12 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 03:41:12 AM »
Personally, I'd keep the performer. I like the convenience of the table. I trashed the charcoal bin... never used it and it got in the way on the bottom shelf for storage.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.