Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork cushion on the WSM  (Read 4059 times)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Pork cushion on the WSM
« on: February 04, 2017, 07:32:09 PM »
THIS is my new favorite meat! I went to the store yesterday with the intention of getting a pork butt, they were out. Damn, I had my heart set on shredding some pork. So I see the Pork Cushion meat...Hmm, ok, I'll try it. I PROMISE i'll get better with pics, you just get on a roll and lose track.. Anyways, the vac pack had 5 pieces in it. I seasoned each one liberally with my favorite carne asada shake, then injected the liquid marinade for asada into each one. This morning got the WSM fired up using the minion method, when it was at temp I put the meat on and let her run. It was SO nice working on my ranch kettle and smelling the pork cooking next to me......B L I S S ... anyway, at 170 degrees I foiled each piece and kept it going till the internal was 205. Held it in an ice chest for a while, when I got around to shredding it, WOW, shredded nice, very little fat to remove and SO DELICIOUS, just the way it was!!!! I think because the cushions are smaller, there is actually more surface area to collect smoke and rub as opposed to a big butt... if you haven't tried, DO IT! I'm getting more tomorrow, or at least by next weekend!...lol

https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157679968541515/with/32592461761/
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Pork cushion on the WSM
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 05:58:45 AM »
Looks great!
I've never heard of pork cushion, is that how it was labeled?
Cuz know I'm thinking I gotta try it

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 06:03:46 AM »
Those look great.  Ill keep an eye out for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »
Nice looking shreds of pork! I have only seen "cushion meat" at the Smart and Final here. It's in a large cryovac and has the Farmer John label. I had always assumed it was just one big hunk?

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »
I too have always been kind of skeptical of "cushion meat" at Smart and Final...thanks for the write up, I'll give it a shot.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

w3ber

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 08:35:53 AM »
varekai That looks great! Pulled pork enchiladas nice!
Green SSP x2 DD DA / 22.5 Blk bowl, Red lid (Rescued) / Jumbo Joe / 18.5 N / / SJ100 / UDS 55 /\ Gas Weber Genesis Gold /\ Weber Fire Pit

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 11:22:22 AM »
Great looking pulled pork.  I've never see that cut locally, but will keep an eye for it.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »
OK guys, pork cushion/cushion meat, same thing. Yes, Farmer John vac pak, It looks as though its a big hunk of meat, but yes, its several smaller, maybe a little bigger than your fist. But DANG it did turn out some good eats!!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 10:32:32 AM »
Very interesting.  I'll have to check out my smart and final and see if they have it here.  What was the price per lb?
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »
@MikeRocksTheRed , to tell the truth I didn't even look... like I said in another post, I need to get better at my notes and pics.

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 12:15:21 PM »
Pork Cushion meat comes off the shoulder so it's perfect for pulled pork.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »
Never heard of that cushion cut. Sure looks like it worked... looks great!!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 04:26:59 PM »
Yes, Farmer John vac pak, It looks as though its a big hunk of meat, but yes, its several smaller, maybe a little bigger than your fist. But DANG it did turn out some good eats!!!

Thanks for clearing that up! I always passed them up, because I didn't want to deal with one giant hunk

Pork Cushion meat comes off the shoulder so it's perfect for pulled pork.

Thanks for that tidbit as well!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 06:17:22 PM »
Pork Cushion meat is sometimes sold as pork sirloin around here. Its leaner and it will pull. You'll get a better yield than butts if you cater pulled pork with it.  My local butcher has the Berkshire "sirloins" and they are awesome!

cook 'em like butts or picnics

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 06:33:44 AM »
That looks great @swamprb