Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stainless Steel Charcoal Grate  (Read 4186 times)

ffej

• Smokey Joe
Stainless Steel Charcoal Grate
« on: January 23, 2017, 05:14:26 AM »
Ok, so I know this is overkill for a lot of people, but this appears to be an option for a stainless steel charcoal grate. I've searched the web and it appears there is no discussion about one.

http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-High-Heat-Charcoal-Fire-Grate-Upgrade-for-X-Large-Big-Green-Egg-Grill--17-dia_p_30.html

Any reason why this wouldn't work on a 22.5 kettle?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Stainless Steel Charcoal Grate
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 06:30:32 AM »
Help me understand the need for SS on the charcoal grate, give me really thick standard steel rod and I will be happy.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

ffej

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »
It doesn't rust and should last longer, no? Same reason why some people replace nuts, bolts, washers with stainless or spend more on those stainless charcoal baskets, or a stainless cooking grate.

Edit: And ya, don't really need it. Just looking to pimp it out a bit. 8)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:59:33 AM by ffej »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 10:12:30 AM »
IDK, don't think I could drop $55 for a charcoal grate. I'll use an older rusty one until it no longer holds charcoal. Food doesn't contact that grate, I'd rather put that towards another CL kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 02:02:18 PM »
I could buy 5 regular charcoal grates for $55.  5 grates would last me far longer than 1 stainless one. 

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 05:19:04 AM »
One you shown is 17" dia. made for X-Large Big Green Egg.  Weber 22.5" kettle uses 21.5" dia. cooking grates so will not work.

If you are looking for a high quality SS grates, look into something like this. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/21-5-Round-Flip-Up-BBQ-Stainless-Grill-Cook-Grate-KG-7436-Weber-replacement-/191975919234?hash=item2cb2a80e82:g:cxgAAOSwU-pXvLCu&rmvSB=true&rmvSB=true.

I thought you already had these from other thread mentioned. I have additional CI and cheaper SS grates but for next grate purchase I will treat myself and get killagrilla SS grate. This looks heavy duty and will last forever with no corrosion associated with steel grates.  I think Cellar2ful just ordered this. Here are some stats on it.

You asked for it, now we are producing it!  Similar to our KG 7435 stainless steel grill grate, with (2) side doors that allow you to add extra charcoal during cooking!!!

Each BBQ grill cooking grate measures 21.5" diameter and fits 22.5" Weber round kettle grills, replacing old and unusable 7435 and 7436 cook grates.

New, hand crafted, custom made heavy duty stainless steel cooking grate is made with 0.25'' thick 304 stainless steel wire.

This 304 stainless steel BBQ grates will guard against corrosion and will last many years over nickel plated steel grates, guaranteed!. This unit directly replaces Weber chrome and nickel plated small wire grates that become corroded and unsafe for barbequing food.

These heavy duty 0.25" diameter wire grates provide better searing and hold heat, allowing grill masters to complete this affordable upgrade in mere seconds. Each grill grate weighs in at a full 9 lbs!

Part number KG7436

Custom Made in Nolensville, TN USA

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 06:00:17 AM »
@greenweb this is a charcoal grate, not cooking grate
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 06:29:10 AM »
@greenweb this is a charcoal grate, not cooking grate

Thanks @ LightningBoldtz.  I totally missed the charcoal grate part.  Then for sure SS not required.  There are reasons why Weber and other Grates manufactures including  killagrilla don't offer SS charcoal grates.  Not needed but you are welcome to try one and let us know how you like it.  It might be kind of cool to have all SS cooking and charcoal grates in one kettle.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »
I could buy 5 regular charcoal grates for $55.  5 grates would last me far longer than 1 stainless one.

+1. Another issue is that charcoal grates warp due to the intense conductive heat directly on top. I'm not convinced stainless would be better for that.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 08:34:36 AM »
It isn't, not for that use.

ffej

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 06:38:02 AM »
fyi, here is more affordable option just released if anyone is interested.

https://www.amazon.com/inch-304-Stainless-Steel-Grate/dp/B06X8YGKWG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493044647

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 04:20:40 PM »
Hold on ....im not sure i agree with the comments about charcoal grates ss not having value.

If you are spending the money for ss cook grates. Having ss charcoal grates offer the same long term investment value.

We know that the steel charcoal grates will warp and bow downwards after 1-2 years of usage...and then rust/thin out.

Ss is more heat resistant than steel related to retaining tensile strength (@ high temps)...so the ss grates SHOULD be more resistant to warping..helping you to maintain the height of you baskets to your cook grates...

So why are ss charcoal grates being so readily dismissed here...ive been looking for ss charcoal grates and will probably buy 2 sets of these....

If you personally dont want to make the investment for ss charcoal grates..thats one thing but i think theres misinformation being shared here that steel grates are superior in tensile strength (at higher temps) related to steel, which is the primary reason why the steel grates bow at such low temps...bowing at 500-600 degrees kettle temps is pretty dismal tensile strength performance.

Steel is rated to lose tensile strength at a much lower temp than ss...how is steel superior to ss for charcoal grates?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 04:32:29 PM by toolhead »
Grills

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 04:34:27 PM »

Hold on ....im not sure i agree with the comments about charcoal grates ss not having value.

If you are spending the money for ss cook grates. Having ss charcoal grates offer the same long term investment value.

We know that the steel charcoal grates will warp and bow downwards after 1-2 years of usage...and then rust/thin out.

Ss is more heat resistant than steel related to retaining tensile strength (@ high temps)...so the ss grates SHOULD be more resistant to warping..helping you to maintain the height of you baskets to your cook grates...

So why are ss charcoal grates being so readily dismissed here...ive been looking for ss charcoal grates and will probably buy 2 sets of these....

If you personally dont want to make the investment for ss charcoal grates..thats one thing but i think theres misinformation being shared here that steel grates are superior in tensile strength (at higher temps) related to steel, which is the primary reason why the steel grates bow at such low temps...bowing at 500-600 degrees kettle temps is pretty dismal tensile strength performance.

Steel is rated to lose tensile strength at a much lower temp than ss...how is steel superior to ss for charcoal grates?

I agree. I'd take a stainless charcoal grate any day. Same reason I like the stainless ash sweeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 05:03:35 PM »

I agree. I'd take a stainless charcoal grate any day. Same reason I like the stainless ash sweeps.

I will bet you will like this for your Gen2 performer.  Commercial grade 304 grade stainless steel Custom made table. Shameless plug for my latest creation.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 05:05:55 PM »
I do like that. Looks incredible. Nice work!