Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermoworks Smoke (+iGrill)  (Read 3067 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
Thermoworks Smoke (+iGrill)
« on: January 15, 2017, 06:16:49 PM »
After a disappointing experience with iGrill (iGrill2: connectivity issues, lost plots, inconsistent temps [range of 60F between my coolest and warmest reading probes, 8 total probes, none of them were closer than 2F; replacements no better] I do need to say the iGrill Mini has been really reliable.), I decided to pick up a Smoke.

The upcoming web features sold me on it.  I don't like the BT devices as they don't work when the device disconnects.  The web enabled devices work anywhere.  That's another thing I don't like about the iGrill (and Maverick).  With a server, my Stoker gives me this functionality (but it is a cumbersome antique anymore...)  This is why I'm also looking forward to the Meater Block.

I've got a question about the smoke that I haven't seen answered before and is not addressed in the docs.  I presume that tells me what I need to know..

At anyrate, and I am guessing not, is it possible to set one of the probes to be a "Food" probe rather than a "Pit" probe?

Another cool thing about the Thermoworks is that the Thermoworks probes work (based on a sample of one) with the iGrill and report the correct temp.  The Thermoworks probes are much nicer, I think narrower, better sealed, and my money is going to be on more accurate and longer lasting.  In addition, I think they are cheaper.  Probe compatibility addresses part of my gripe with iGrill above.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 06:24:32 PM by ClubChapin »

order66

• WKC Brave
Re: Thermoworks Smoke (+iGrill)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 04:10:34 AM »
I use thermoworks probes with my iGrill(s) as well.
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 04:50:34 AM »
Great insight will look into igrill

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 06:49:12 AM »
@ClubChapin -  With the smoke you can use any probe configuration you want if you have the correct probes to do so.  It comes with a food probe and a pit probe.  The pit probe is a short nubby probe that would not work for food, but you can always buy another food probe and use two food probes instead of a food probe and a pit probe.  Thermoworks had a sale going a couple of weeks ago and I went ahead and picked up some extra probes so I can run two food probes when I don't need to run a pit probe.

I am also looking forward to the wifi bridge and whatever app/software they release for the Smoke.  I agree that bluetooth just isn't the answer for monitoring a cook since it has limited distance.  I think with the iGrill you can setup a table as a relay so that you can extend your range to your phone or smartwatch, but I don't have an iGrill so I am not sure how that works.  I think that still limits you to the bluetooth range from the iGrill transmitter to your tablet then the range from your tablet to your phone.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 07:02:03 AM »
I have a Thermoworks Smoke and use it in both configurations (food + probe) and (Food + Food).  As @MikeRocksTheRed pointed out, you can use it either way as long as you have the right probes.

On thing that is often overlooked with the existing Smoke unit - it uses RF rather than Bluetooth to transmit between the remote unit and the base.  I find that the RF works great - I can cook in the corner of my back yard, and receive a solid signal anywhere in the house.  Even without the upcoming Wifi module, the Smoke (in my opinion) is a much better unit than any bluetooth-based solution.

The upcoming wifi plug-in will just make it that much better.

Winz

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:23:33 AM by Winz »
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 07:07:28 AM »
I ran a head to head test with my Smoke against a Maverick over the weekend and will post the results as soon as I have a little time to put it all together.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
I love my smoke.  It is the easiest thing in the world to set.  It take 5 seconds to change the high / low temps of the meat and the cooker.   I used to fiddle around with my Maverick for way too long.  And the smoke just feels solid.  It's surprising how heavy it is when you take it out of the box. 

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:43:01 PM »
I may have a problem with my smoke thermometer because the last time I used it(I've only used it twice) it kept dropping signal and I was less than a 100' from the transmitter.  Granted I was inside the house but my Maverick 732 doesn't drop signal in this same scenario.  I like how easy it is to set up but so far I'm not impressed with the reception.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 03:40:15 PM »
I may have a problem with my smoke thermometer because the last time I used it(I've only used it twice) it kept dropping signal and I was less than a 100' from the transmitter.  Granted I was inside the house but my Maverick 732 doesn't drop signal in this same scenario.  I like how easy it is to set up but so far I'm not impressed with the reception.

Interesting.  You should call their customer support and see what they say.

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 05:38:38 PM »
I had a similar experience with my Smoke @70monte. During my first cook with it, about 3 or so hours into the cook, it started periodically dropping signal. Didn't move, was sitting in the same place in the house, about 60 ft from the smoker. I think I'll be contacting Thermoworks to ask them about it. Otherwise, it worked very well. Hopefully they can resolve the problem....  Side question, @Winz where did you get the nice custom cut case?

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 07:10:37 PM »
I had a similar experience with my Smoke @70monte. During my first cook with it, about 3 or so hours into the cook, it started periodically dropping signal. Didn't move, was sitting in the same place in the house, about 60 ft from the smoker. I think I'll be contacting Thermoworks to ask them about it. Otherwise, it worked very well. Hopefully they can resolve the problem....  Side question, @Winz where did you get the nice custom cut case?

Mine started doing it pretty soon into the cook and I was cooking filet mignon reverse sear so my cook didn't even last that long.  I'm going to see what it does the next time I use it.  I'm not even sure what the warranty is on it.  I got it when they first came out so I may be out of warranty already.

As far as the case goes, Thermoworks sells a custom case like that but I'm not sure if he got his there or not.  I bought one similar to that but a little deeper at sams club for about $20 to put mine in.  I think the Thermoworks one is like $50 or so.

Wayne

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 05:15:48 AM »
  Side question, @Winz where did you get the nice custom cut case?

@1ROW  Thermoworks sells the cases on their site. The foam is the type that you pluck to make the cutouts, so you can customize it for your own use.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 08:08:43 PM »
im trying to understand if the probes can be set to "food", high temp only (like Stoker or iGrill), or are they always set to "pit", with a low and a high temp?

I know I can set the low to 32F and it will work as a "food" probe would.  It's a small annoyance to me that I cannot figure out how to toggle between "pit" and "food" modes.

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 07:06:43 PM »
From looking at the instructions for the Smoke, there is no dedicated food or pit mode.  You just pick which port you put the food probe in and which one you put the pit one in and remember which is which.

I personally don't find this to be a problem.  For me it's easy to remember which is which and depending which smoker I use, I sometimes only use the food probe and use the thermometer on the smoker for the pit temp.

You can just dedicate the top or bottom part of the transmitter and receiver as one probe or the other and always use that section for that probe.