Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Adjusting weber thermometer (newer flush mount through the lid style)  (Read 3105 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
I just saw a post on a facebook group about being able to adjust the newer style weber thermometer.  I went out to my 26er and wasn't able to figure it out so I remove the thermometer entirely then messed with it inside.  Sure enough, if you hold the dial of the actual thermometer then twist the stem the needle moves.  I used pliers to grip the stem.  I'm not sure if I could have done it by hand or not.  My lid thermo on my 26er is alway around 30 degrees higher than my grate temp if I am remembering correctly.  It will be interesting to see how much closer it is now, and if I can adjust it more to be fairly accurate.  I've done a test before where I recorded grate temp and lid thermo temp through a range of temps and the amount it was off was alway within 5 degrees or so of whatever I determined the difference was.  So if I can get it accurate using my probe on the grate at one or two temps it should be accurate +/- 5 degrees all of the time.

Does everyone else already know this and I have just missed it somehow? 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Adjusting weber thermometer (newer flush mount through the lid style)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 04:50:43 PM »
Not following you exactly but I'm apparently in the minority of people who like lid therm. I have checked weber therm against grate and they start off with a 20-30 degree difference but once cooker has settled in they are very close to the same generally. Either way, a lid therm is more than enough accurate for me once I calibrated what it's reading to a grate therm.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 04:53:01 PM »
Again, I'm apparently alone in this thinking, but I really like a lid therm and it's all I use when smoking until the end of the cook and I'll insert a digital meat thermometer into the meat.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Adjusting weber thermometer (newer flush mount through the lid style)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 05:54:17 PM »
I wasn't aware the Weber thermos were adjustable.  Would be nice if 32F were marked for calibration in a cup of ice water.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 11:21:07 PM »
I like the lid thermometers as they look nice and they are consistent enough for me to get good cooks. I don't care if it's different than the grate temp- just know the offset and adjust accordingly.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 01:30:06 AM »
I reread and understand. That's interesting. Let us know if you can adjust to your liking. I would be a little afraid of damaging the thermometer but I guess they can be replaced easy enough.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 05:38:32 AM »
I don't know anything about the new ones but I've been adjusting the old ones by doing the same basic maneuver, for quite some time. I clamp the lug on the back, that connects the stem to the back of the face, and turn the face to where I want it.

Generally there's not a problem with getting a close reading unless the thermos been damaged.  Even then it can be recalibrated sometimes and read well enough cook with.

No thermos are needed at all after the cook developes a feel for the size of fire he needs and the heat its making(AKA Fire management). The meat can tell you how well done it is by the look , smell & feel alone and probing for tender can indicate doneness too.

The biggest problem with the thermos I have seen over the years is the users have themselves convinced they need the grill to operate like a submarine, with absolute perfection and sealed up tighter than a frog's ass.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 06:07:24 AM »
tighter than a frog's ass.

And that's water proof!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 06:10:13 AM »
Got into it yesterday about bi-metal thermos....blah blah blah.  I know a lid thermo is never going to be dead on accurate, but if I can get it within 5-10 degrees, +/-5 degrees through different temp ranges that is good enough for me.  If I am doing a cook where temperature is critical I will always use my digital thermos and probes, but its nice to be able to do less critical cooks and be able to use your lid thermo to know you are within 10 degrees of what you are shooting for.  And being able to adjust the thermo so it is turned back a bit and reflecting grate temp and not dome temp makes a lot of sense to me!

Numb3rs

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »
Can you show pictures or describe how you disassemble it? Mine everything seems to be locked in place
I just saw a post on a facebook group about being able to adjust the newer style weber thermometer.  I went out to my 26er and wasn't able to figure it out so I remove the thermometer entirely then messed with it inside.  Sure enough, if you hold the dial of the actual thermometer then twist the stem the needle moves.  I used pliers to grip the stem.  I'm not sure if I could have done it by hand or not.  My lid thermo on my 26er is alway around 30 degrees higher than my grate temp if I am remembering correctly.  It will be interesting to see how much closer it is now, and if I can adjust it more to be fairly accurate.  I've done a test before where I recorded grate temp and lid thermo temp through a range of temps and the amount it was off was alway within 5 degrees or so of whatever I determined the difference was.  So if I can get it accurate using my probe on the grate at one or two temps it should be accurate +/- 5 degrees all of the time.

Does everyone else already know this and I have just missed it somehow?