Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP Restore Questions  (Read 1830 times)

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
SSP Restore Questions
« on: October 28, 2016, 09:57:31 AM »
I am in the process of restoring the 1995  SSP that I bought this week.  I called Weber for some parts and there were a few issues. 

1 - The told me the new ash sweeps for the one touch cleaning system would not work with my grill because I have the old style with the bar that held the catcher up.  I have the bar, just need a way to put it all back together.  She said I needed to order a whole new bowl which I know is not correct.  What do I need to do to get the sweeps/catcher back to working order? 
2 - I have the original tank, she told me they no longer have the filler adapter so I could not use the tank anymore and I would need to switch to a newer tank and change the regulator.  I would like to keep using the tank I have, any ideas?
3 - The wanted like $20 for the tool holders which I think is insane, anyone have any laying around they would be willing to donate or sell pretty cheap?

I am trying to keep the cost down on this restore since my plan is to gift it so buying a new bowl or new tank and regulator is not on my list of things to buy.  Any help would be appreciated.

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
Re: SSP Restore Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 10:25:58 AM »
@Jeepin79:

1.  The new ash sweeps will fit.  Get them at a big box store or source them locally.  I used Ace Hardware.  they will fit.  Follow the directions and install accordingly.  It took me literally 10 minutes.  Would have been less but I needed a third hand.  You will have to get creative to remote the sweeps tho.  with 2 of the three, the bar was all rusted in place.  Took my dremel tool with the cut off wheel and took of the handle and thumb screw.  Took a block of wood and small hammer, place the wood on the remaining nut from the underside of the bowl and gently persuaded the rest of the crumbly sweep out the other side.  Cleaned up the bowl with a razor blade scrapper and 0000 steel wool and THEN installed the sweep.

2.  Not true.  I sourced a tank from a Grillfella here on WKC.  I took it to the same Ace HW store.  They filled it.  8 bucks.

3.  Tool holders are not that hard to come by.  You can cook with out them.  How ever, check with some Grill Fellas here on WKC.  Some have spare SSP's for parts.  I have two for parts off of CL.  Less than 50 bucks invested in the spares.  However, I NEED my parts.

Not saying it won't cost a little bit to RRR the fine Cooking device you have acquired.  :)

Patience and search, search and ask...

Best of luck for your restore... Its fun!!!  I am restoring two SSP Red Heads as I speak (type this)

Grill man... Grill on!!!

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:33:08 AM by jeffrackmo »
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 10:53:33 AM »
@Jeepin79  - If you can't get the newer one touch to work, leave out the washer it comes with.  The cross bar acts as the spacer that the washer would on a non crossbar ash catcher.  I did it this way for a while.  I eventually upgrade to the new ash catcher which didn't line up correctly with the leg sockets so I just drilled and pop riveted it to the leg sockets.  Keep your washer around so that if you eventually upgrade the ash catcher to a new one with no crossbar you can put the washer back into the picture.

Here is the link to the post I did when I installed the new style ash catcher.

I replaced my tank with a brand new one I found on Ace's website. 
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 10:55:28 AM »
I have a klingon tool holder you can have. (it clings to the side of the kettle if that's what you're looking for) If you need the clipon type, I can get you a couple of those too.
PM me your address.

Marty
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:58:08 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
SSP Restore Questions
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 06:38:02 PM »
1. The new ash sweepers will work if you ditch the bar that holds the ash catcher in place. You can get them from Amazon if no local source.

Instead of the bar to hold the ash catcher ring, do a search here for a method that uses aluminum strips and pop rivets. It works great and is more solid than using the old bar.

Edit to add link: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/**master-touchperformer-ash-catcher-bars-won't-be-needing-them-anymore!**/?PHPSESSID=19970c7937758682e0a3381f9a0dabb3

2. Check with your Ace hardware, or a local welding supply shop - they usually have the filler adapter and can refill your tank. Where you might run into trouble is if your tank's certification has expired. They're only good for 10 or 12 years, then have to be recertified. The welding supply can likely do that for cheap - IF your tank has an Overfill Protection Device (OPD). If no OPD, you may be out of luck. Or at least it may be cheaper to get a new tank than to replace the valve/OPD and quick connect and recertify an old tank.

If you get to that point, it may also be cheaper to replace the regulator hose and mod to use the 1lb bottles. There's examples of that on here too.

Edit to add link 2: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/time-for-another-adventure8482/
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:45:07 PM by haeffb »

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »
Well after spending some time with it this afternoon I have come to the conclusion that its beyond saving.  The frame specifically is rotted in too many places and I am not going to be able to repair it.  Considering I have a total of 10 bucks in it I am not too worried about the loss on it.  I do however have a lot of good parts I would be willing to pass on to the locals here in Chicago if anyone needed them. 

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
SSP Restore Questions
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 12:50:30 AM »
You'd be surprised. I got one that was literally pieces.  It turned out great and I think I had $30 in stock to get it done.

Check out the restore here-

https://northeastbbq.com/?s=Green+EI

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:56:43 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 06:40:14 AM »
Cool blog, Joe! You can also use angle brackets to support the tube junctions.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 07:14:42 AM »
I try not to obnoxiously pimp it here but it was 5am and I was on the iPad so copying the link was much easier than copy and pasting everything.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Jeepin79

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 03:06:10 PM »

Using angle brackets was my plan but there does not look to be enough good metal to attach brackets to.  I may have another look at it.