Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermoworks SMOKE BBQ Thermometer  (Read 9273 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Thermoworks SMOKE BBQ Thermometer
« on: October 17, 2016, 10:12:29 PM »
I got my hands on the new SMOKE from Thermoworks.
It's their new wireless dual probe bbq thermometer coming out in a couple of weeks. It's available for preorder here

Sorry for the language in the video, I got pretty excited when I realized how nice this device is and I just couldn't contain myself :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5MQdHCxl0g

*ALSO - if you buy from that link, the club gets a small commission. The SMOKE was given to me in exchange for an honest review. My reactions and opinions are objective and 100% honest.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Thermoworks SMOKE BBQ Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:16:52 AM »
Fascinatining video. Interesting.

I already ordered this when it was announced, I'm sorry that I didn't know about the WKC link.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 01:45:43 AM »
Looks good troy, thanks for the review. The look on my Girl's face if I brought home another thermometer, lol.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 02:25:17 AM »
Great review I got excited listening to you get all excited ordering today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 04:27:09 AM »
I'm pumped.  Everything about that company screams quality.  Definitely on my list.

The only thing I am curious about is the receiver display..  lanyard only!?  I usually leave my maverick on the nightstand while I dream of BBQ.  Not a deal breaker... but likely a v2 thing...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 04:33:38 AM »
Well I don't have a thermometer, so this might have to do!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 05:28:03 AM »
Nice Video ! Very interested in this one.   

I have 3 cheapo thermometers.  One to check grill grate temp, instant read, and probe.  I was looking into cheapo wireless one like Maverick ET-7, but this maybe way to go.

Shipping to Canada seems to be reasonable too at $14.   Any Promo Code for this ?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 06:55:25 AM »
Wow that thing looks amazing.  Are the shiny metal pieces on the back of it magnets?  Would be so nice to be able to stick it on the frame of my performer instead of having it sitting on the table taking up space.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 07:41:15 AM »
@Troy - First, your review was funny and entertaining as always.  I laughed out loud at the "I am going to buy another unit just to peel the screen sticker off" comment.

As for the unit itself, I have mixed feelings. 

On the plus side, Thermoworks quality in a remote unit is a very positive thing.  The promise of a WIFI module in the spring is also a very big plus.

On the negative side - I am so bummed about the unit's probes, mainly because I cannot reuse my substantial investment in K type probes from Thermoworks.  But more importantly, it does not look like the probes that come with the unit can fit through the grommets that many of us use in our smokers.  Can you please take a measurement when you get a moment?

Thanks,

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Poorfolks

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 08:39:13 AM »
 I wish someone here would contact them and ask about a group buy. They already offer it @ $94.99 a piece including shipping for ordering 5 units.

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 10:04:36 AM »
On the negative side - I am so bummed about the unit's probes, mainly because I cannot reuse my substantial investment in K type probes from Thermoworks.  But more importantly, it does not look like the probes that come with the unit can fit through the grommets that many of us use in our smokers.  Can you please take a measurement when you get a moment?

This was my first thought as well! While I appreciate the spring reinforcements I can't see how those will fit through my WSM Grommets. Tricky enough to get a curved probe through to begin with at times. Wouldn't affect my kettles since I have them notched but I use temp probes WAY more on the WSM than my kettles.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 10:38:55 AM »

This was my first thought as well! While I appreciate the spring reinforcements I can't see how those will fit through my WSM Grommets. Tricky enough to get a curved probe through to begin with at times. Wouldn't affect my kettles since I have them notched but I use temp probes WAY more on the WSM than my kettles.

Go the other way. Stick the plug thru the grommet from the other side.

Nice first look at this therm. Might have to get one. Thanks Troy
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:41:30 AM by MINIgrillin »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

theduke

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 10:53:53 AM »
Go the other way. Stick the plug thru the grommet from the other side.

Right angle probe ends don't fit through the grommets I have. Can't remember the exact size but they're the larger ones from Cajun Bandit. 3/8" maybe?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:01:25 AM by theduke »

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 11:07:01 AM »
Rats..!
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 03:01:10 PM »
I'm pumped.  Everything about that company screams quality.  Definitely on my list.

The only thing I am curious about is the receiver display..  lanyard only!?  I usually leave my maverick on the nightstand while I dream of BBQ.  Not a deal breaker... but likely a v2 thing...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Surprised me a bit as well.
It does stand up on its end (rocks around a bit) as well as on its side.

The receiver only has one button that serves as on/off as well as backlight. It's pretty simple to grab, tap the button, look at temps.
I'll cook something this week FO SHO