Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Adding lid bale - normal or unconventional position  (Read 7440 times)

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Adding lid bale - normal or unconventional position
« on: October 14, 2016, 03:38:04 PM »
Need some help deciding.

I am adding a lid bale assy. to a 2 handle bowl kettle. This kettle will become full fledged MT. Initially, I wanted to cut the back handle off and add the bale assy. at the back side. Then, not wanting to cut into the handle, I am thinking about adding the bale to the side like would be on a performer. Might even be easier to use with the bale to the side.  Once I mark and drill 3 holes for the bale assy., there is no going back.

What would you do? 

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Adding lid bale - normal or unconventional position
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 04:18:47 PM »
I would not chop the handle if it were me.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 04:31:27 PM »
What color is the kettle? If it's black, just cut the handle off.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 04:48:39 PM »
I would not chop the handle if it were me.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".

Thanks for your honest opinion.

What color is the kettle? If it's black, just cut the handle off.

New Copper kettle.  So, you would cut the back handle off and mount the lid bale assy. at the back.

What is your opinion on having the bale assy to the left between 2 handles. It might look unique or maybe look bit strange as I have never seen anyone do this. I am not sure.  I am thinking more functional though.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:57:47 PM by greenweb »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 06:08:20 PM »
If it's the new copper kettle and the leftover tabs don't bother you then I don't see a problem chopping the other bowl handle either. I think having the bale in between the handles would look silly but would work just fine.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 04:37:10 AM »
If it's the new copper kettle and the leftover tabs don't bother you then I don't see a problem chopping the other bowl handle either. I think having the bale in between the handles would look silly but would work just fine.

I am now leaning towards more conventional setup.  Your comment reassured me that it is ok to remove the metal handle strap. Thanks!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 04:39:10 AM »
If your going function over form then I would do this:

Stand in front of your grill, and take off the lid as you normally would. See where you naturally want to go with it and put the lid bale where your body says to hang it.

If the handle is in the way of this, cut it off, then your kettle will be ergonomically designed for you.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 05:11:45 AM »
If your going function over form then I would do this:

Stand in front of your grill, and take off the lid as you normally would. See where you naturally want to go with it and put the lid bale where your body says to hang it.

If the handle is in the way of this, cut it off, then your kettle will be ergonomically designed for you.

Function wise, having the bale assy. to my left would be ideal, just like how I use my Performer with the bale assy. to my left. Matter of fact, on my other kettles with bale, I position myself so the bale assy. is always on my left side as I am cooking anyways.

The problem is just aesthetics.  As pbe gummi bear mentioned... it might look strange with it mounted between 2 handles.  More functional maybe. Also, I am not sure if I should deviate to far from norm.

Thanks! Your comment helped me with another idea.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 04:53:54 AM by greenweb »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 05:40:39 AM »
Can't you stand on the other side of the kettle so that the bale is on the left side or vice versa? You can rotate the ash sweeper assembly so it's pointing to the right side.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 06:29:39 AM »
This is more about aesthetics I am guessing.  I am going with pbe gummi bear's suggestion.  Thanks!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 08:01:24 AM »
I went with the unconventional.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 08:32:19 AM »
@greenweb - I have a couple red 2 handle bowls I was going to turn into MT's and just didn't get a good feeling about the Weber Feng Shui!! Yes, sliding the lid off to the side would be kind of a PITA,  awkward but doable.

Chopping off the handles is also kind of a task with a cutoff wheel, the angle of attack isn't that great. When I chose to add a red Master-Touch to a Platinum frame, I gave it a try and didn't want to do any more cosmetic damage but the handle HAD to come off for that mod - I agonized over having visible handle stubs so I chose to drill into the bowl from the inside to degrade the handle spot welds and totally remove it. Six to one-half dozen to another, I covered the holes with chrome plugs and acorn nuts.

This doesn't really solve your dilemma - just giving my 2 cents from a similar mod. Looking forward to seeing your addition!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2016, 09:01:36 AM »
@swamprb - Thank you so much for your insight.  At this point, It is more work but  I am taking the handle off. Thanks to some suggestion made.  To drill it out or cutting it off..... I am not sure yet.  But your pics provide lot to go on.  I am not sure if I want to drill any more holes but it does look clean.

Your Red Platinum looks real good.  All white including the handle against all black frame makes your Red kettle pop.

Talking about nice Redheads. I got turkey cooking on my Red right now.  About 40 min. into a cook.  Maybe 3 more hrs to go.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 09:20:19 AM by greenweb »

idaho.dixons

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2016, 09:24:35 AM »
@swamprb - Thank you so much for your insight.  At this point, It is more work but  I am taking the handle off. Thanks to some suggestion made.  To drill it out or cutting it off..... I am not sure yet.  But your pics provide lot to go on.  I am not sure if I want to drill any more holes but it does look clean.

Your Red Platinum looks real good.  All white including the handle against all black frame makes your Red kettle pop.

Talking about nice Redheads. I got turkey cooking on my Red right now.  About 40 min. into a cook.  Maybe 3 more hrs to go.

Where can I buy the lid bail?  I searched online and didn't find it... perhaps I used bad search terms?

Thx, Brian

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 09:48:51 AM »

Where can I buy the lid bail?  I searched online and didn't find it... perhaps I used bad search terms?

Thx, Brian

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
[/quote]

You can order it from ereplacementparts.com or order directly from Weber only if you are replacing your current kettle parts.
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/weber-781001-one-touch-kettle-grill-parts-c-193079_193086_193479.html