Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM water pan cover  (Read 3912 times)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
WSM water pan cover
« on: October 12, 2016, 06:38:02 PM »
I just found this on eBay. I am getting tired of using all my foil up to cover water pan. Anyone have thoughts on this? Looks like it would work good, pretty easy to clean or cover with extra wide foil. Could also fill the water pan with a few clay saucers or sand.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/22-22-5-Weber-Smokey-Mountain-Water-Pan-Cover-WSM-Smoker-Accessory-/162218373802?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: WSM water pan cover
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 02:29:59 AM »

I'm not going to say its a gimmick, but why even bother with a pan? I cook dry and just had steel discs to fit in place of the pan. I use aluminum catering party platters foiled over for drip pans on the discs.
They will fit a little deeper in the pan if you try them. Six to one -half dozen to another. If these were around before I had the discs cut, I would likely have considered them

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 10:46:15 AM »
Thanks swamprb, I knew I could count on you. I still might give it try. I have spent $30 on worse ideas.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 04:12:39 PM »
Thanks swamprb, I knew I could count on you. I still might give it try. I have spent $30 on worse ideas.

Foil is your friend @iCARRY !!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

PB-UK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 01:21:49 PM »
Is it bad to not wrap the pan in foil? I haven't done so far and it is greasy and fatty but isn't this all adding flavour in the long run?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

rjmitch89

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 02:20:40 PM »
I just bought a similar pan from Amazon. Ended up wrapping it in foil. Ha!  It is easier to clean than the water pan though.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 09:47:20 AM »
Well, the WSM is a water smoker, I just happen to like the results I get cooking without it. Cleanup has always been an issue with me and the waterpan.

My Backwoods on the other hand is also a water smoker, I figured it would be an easy transition to use it dry, but I just wasn't really satisfied with the results, so I use it as it was designed (with a slight mod!)