Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Asador de Carbon, AKA an Aristocrat  (Read 5800 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Asador de Carbon, AKA an Aristocrat
« on: October 05, 2016, 01:57:24 PM »
So this was on Offer Up for three weeks before I noticed it...

"Asador de Carbon."

I went on a bit of a drive to go pick this one up, and when I got there I made the pickup very quickly using my limited Spanish.  It had definitely fallen on hard times. 

The handle was completely shot, with one rivet replaced with a screw that I cut myself on as it was sticking up out of the bottom of the handle. 

It was BADLY out of round.  I didn't realize this from the picture online.  I wondered if it would hug back into shape.

The legs and triangle had been spray painted.

The front leg was a solid iron bar, also painted.

The triangle was being held on to a screw where the thumbscrews used to be, using baling wire.

The tires were old lawnmower tires, attached using nails bent through holes drilled into the triangle.

So...there was work to be done. 

I ordered a new front leg, but when it came, the new front did not work with the old back legs, so I just replaced them all with a new leg and wheel set.  Once again, if anyone has any steel wheels out there, I'd be glad to buy them!

I hugged the bowl into shape...Very slowly and carefully.  The lid sits very nicely on the bowl now. 

I cleaned the bowl and lid pretty thoroughly.  I went through more razor blades on this restore than any other.

And so, with all that done, here it is put back together:

No Patent Pending on the lid, plus thumbscrews tell me that this would be a mid to late 1960s model.

The rougher side...tempted to paint the spots, especially after seeing some of @swamprb and his work.

Full disclosure:  The ash catcher is from my Wood Dale Fleetwood.  I'm just planning on moving it from one to the other depending on which one I'm cooking on.  I know others are looking for 26er ash pans...has anyone ever fabricated an ash pan? 

I'm waiting on a replacement handle, but my dad made me some handles, and I modified this one to fit on the Aristocrat in the meantime. 

Also, one of the daisy wheels was missing, but I'm still working on drilling out the rivet...any advice on this would be great!

Two more pics:  One with the Wood Dale Fleetwood...it's interesting to see the difference in shape between these two from the early 60s.  And finally, all my reds together.

I can't wait to use it, and give it the love that it had been missing all these years. 

Thanks for looking!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

buckeyesmoker

• WKC Brave
Re: Asador de Carbon, AKA an Aristocrat
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 02:21:16 PM »
Grate job !!!   ....cple steel wheels with really set her off !
Search of Blue or Green MBH

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 02:26:39 PM »
Super sweeeet score!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 02:34:45 PM »
Awesome. Love the 26. Is that what's called a flat top?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 03:16:22 PM »
So this was on Offer Up for three weeks before I noticed it...

:o :o :o

Even with all the problems it had..... it is one of the best score I ever seen.  I'd be all over that if I seen one like it locally.

More importantly, how are the cooking grate.  Also, are bottom vents same as on 22"?  Just wondering.

Anyways, great score and restore.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 03:33:58 PM »
Bravo and congrats on the score/restore!
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 03:46:04 PM »

Congratulations. $25 for a 26" is outstanding. Then add in the fact it is a redhead. Then add that it sat on OfferUp for 3 weeks makes it all the more gratifying. Great work on restoring it.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 03:51:14 PM »
Awesome job bringing that one back. At first glance, I really thought it was a gonner.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 04:11:56 PM »
Absolutely beautiful man. Unbelievable score. I'd personally let her battle scars be, but even if you paint them she'll shine. Nice job on that brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
Thanks all!  @greenweb the grates are ok.  Cooking grate a little worn, but before I use it, I'm going to clean it up with a pumice stone then rub it down with bacon fat...the charcoal grate is in worse shape, but functional for now.  Daisy wheels on a 26er are the same as a 22...but first, I need to get that darn rivet out...It has been challenging...My Milwaukee Cobalt tipped bit doesn't seem to be going through very well.

@Travis, I'm leaning towards letting the battle scars go, but one of those scars is pretty deep.  That's the only reason I'm considering it. 

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 04:29:49 PM »
Awesome. Love the 26. Is that what's called a flat top?

I don't think it is a flat top...It's dome is actually higher than my older 26er. 

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 04:36:44 PM »
Fantastic score and restore!!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 05:09:57 PM »
Wow Jason the kettle gods seem to love you!
Great find for sure, and awesome job on the restore!

For drilling out rivets use a sharp bit and go slow to make sure you don't accidentally drill through the kettle too😁

I've made an ash pan for an 18 before, but their much more shallow. It would probably be harder for a 26er. Search DIY ash pan and you should find it.

Again awesome find and restore!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Asador de Carbon, AKA an Aristocrat
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 05:20:02 PM »
Great find and amazing work on the resto. I can't believe you were able to reshape that bowl. Was there a lot of cracking when you hugged it?

What search did you use to find it? Was the entire ad in Spanish?

Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 05:35:27 PM »
Great pickup! What a beautiful kettle. Congratulations. Very nice restore.