Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Advice on upgrades  (Read 3284 times)

Otis B.

• Smokey Joe
Advice on upgrades
« on: September 19, 2016, 01:50:41 PM »
Hi All!  Picked up my first Weber Kettle 22" on CL a few weeks ago.  Looking to trick it out a bit and need some advice.  I'm definitely thinking I should upgrade the grates.  A vortex is also in the near future for my wings.  What would you Kettleheads recommend as far as grates?  Also, there isn't a hood thermometer.  Is there anyway to install one?  And if so, where can I purchase one?

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
Re: Advice on upgrades
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 02:04:41 PM »
I'm partial to the stainless steel grates. Cast iron is great and all but it needs a lot more tlc.

I would highly recommend the slow n sear and that's about it for the mods imo.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

Garvinque

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 04:10:59 PM »
Weber Gourmet Cooking System grate 35.00 on Amazon, Center grate removes to add attachments.
LET THE FIRE DO THE WORK! 22 OTG Frankenstein, Jumbo Joe, Weber 26.75 Kettle,Weber Char Q,Weber Baby Blue Q 100, Kamado Joe Jr, Cobb Grill-Both sizes, Southwest Disk Cowboy Wok!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 04:38:46 PM »
Cook on the kettle. Learn how it works for you. Then get other accessories as you need them.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 04:44:33 PM »

Cook on the kettle. Learn how it works for you. Then get other accessories as you need them.

This. Learn what you can live without. Then buy what you really need. Stainless grates would be nice to have.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »

This. Learn what you can live without. Then buy what you really need. Stainless grates would be nice to have.

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Yep, this ^^^
You don't want to go bat schitt crazy with upgrades right out of the chute.
Learn the kettle.....learn fire control and then go bat schitt crazyas your experience dictates.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 04:49:23 PM by DirectDrive »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 04:58:11 PM »
You could start with a cover :-)

Personally I like the cheap 10 dollar weber covers.  Seem to last quite awhile for what they cost.

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 06:52:45 PM »
Hi All!  Picked up my first Weber Kettle 22" on CL a few weeks ago.  Looking to trick it out a bit and need some advice.  I'm definitely thinking I should upgrade the grates.  A vortex is also in the near future for my wings.  What would you Kettleheads recommend as far as grates?  Also, there isn't a hood thermometer.  Is there anyway to install one?  And if so, where can I purchase one?

Hood thermometer isn't needed. They read the temp of the dome, not the grate where your food is at. As others have said, don't go overboard on upgrades before you really learn to use the kettle. That being said, a good thermometer is always a good tool to have. Take a look at the Maverick 732 or the Ivation equivalent. Thermapen is a good option too, but a lot more expensive.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 07:09:56 PM »
The Weber 7413 side work table is a nice add-on and comes in handy. Do you have charcoal baskets? Forget about the lid thermo and get a Maverick redi check thermometer. A Thermapen is also great for checking food temps.
May The Smoke Be With You!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 07:15:33 PM »
I also forgot to add this. Buy a charcoal chimney and please do not use match light charcoal or lighter fluid to start the coals. Weber fire starter cubes are awesome. Stubbs is good fuel.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 08:06:25 PM »

I knows everything abouts the Webers Forrest!

Cajun Bandit Stacker & Rotisserie ring

Kettle Pizza or Pizza Q

HD cover

Rapid Fire chimney

Charcoal baskets

Harbor Freight weed torch

Vortex

Paella pan

Wok

heatproof gloves

Rib-O-Lator

Fire Butler

Smoke EZ

half moon rack

keep it rollin' Bubba's
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 10:33:01 PM »

Yep, this ^^^
You don't want to go bat schitt crazy with upgrades right out of the chute.
Learn the kettle.....learn fire control and then add stuff as your experience dictates.

All of this. When you start, you will have to experiment until you finally get the hang of it. Adding gadgets and "accessories" will only complicate the equation. When I first bought a kettle, I thought I needed a thermo in the top. Turns out I didnt, I just neede dto put a long thermo in the vent. Works just as well. If you must get any accessories, pick up a side rack, a hinged grate, and some charcoal baskets. That should be plenty.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 10:41:07 PM »

Same topic. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/advice-on-upgrades-25866/

Honest mistake on OP's part I am sure creating double post from the same date.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 10:04:55 AM »
Best upgrade I ever got for a kettle was.....

.....another kettle.....

Saves having to just hang stuff out to dry.....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"