Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cook on my WSM  (Read 1454 times)

NewGuy16

• Smokey Joe
First cook on my WSM
« on: September 18, 2016, 07:15:25 AM »
I decided to try a brisket for my first cook on the WSM.  Used the minion method.  Have ceramic briquettes in water pan, covered with foil.  Having trouble keeping temp below 250.  Have the bottom vents almost closed and top open all the way.  Here is a picture at 3 hrs in.  More to follow. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: First cook on my WSM
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 09:08:06 AM »
Temp control will get easier with seasoning. Mine ran hot at first as well. A Maverick tip-top temp helps tremendously as well.
Still need a 22” yellow

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 03:23:05 PM »
May have started with too much charcoal..

You don't have to stay below 250, let the WSM ride where it wants; much less stressful

Let us know how it turns out!

NewGuy16

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 04:10:29 PM »
Well I finally hit 205 internal temp after 8 hrs.  Let temp drop to 170, then wrapped and put in cooler for 2hrs.  This was my first brisket ever.  I honestly think I slightly overlooked this one.  It was still very delicious. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 04:40:57 PM »
You'll get it OK......brisket takes maybe a few times to get the hang of how it acts......

You get to have more of a 'feel' for it, rather than only going by temp, but if it tasted good, you're more than halfway there !!!!!

Great bark build-up too!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 05:07:24 PM »
For a first time I'd be very pleased with those results. I stopped trimming mine up before I put them on. I think more fat helps it render and keep the meat juicy. I do look for hard pieces and cut them out but I don't trim past that. The bark looks very tasty!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.