Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM help  (Read 2844 times)

NewGuy16

• Smokey Joe
WSM help
« on: September 16, 2016, 05:58:06 PM »
I just bought a used 18.5 WSM bit it's an older model that does not have a thermometer in the lid.  Is it fairly easy to install one?  I'm sure getting a pilot hole in the ceramic without making a mess is going to be tough.  I'd really like to try and install one if its not too difficult.  Anyone have any experience drilling into the ceramic coating?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I just need to buy some replacement grates and I'll be  "almost" new :)

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
Re: WSM help
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 06:43:22 PM »
New guy
     Drilling a hole in the top of the 18is easy. Just start with s new
Sharp drill bit and work your way up to the proper diameter.
Buy yourself a River Country thermometer from Amazon..
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 07:37:07 PM »
New Guy 16,  You may want to consider simply feeding your temp probe (you DO have a Maverick ET-732 or 733 right) into one of the holes used to fasten the cooking grate straps in place.   The upside is that you get a hole already drilled, you get your temps where they matter ( about an 1inch above the cooking grate), and you don't need to buy a step bit or some such.
SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 03:48:26 AM »
Easy peasy.

When I drilled my WSMs, I placed the hole on the opposite side of the vent. I taped up the area with blue painters tape and marked where I wanted the hole. That location was determined by measuring from both side of the handle bracket to the rivet of the vent.
Once you have located where you want your thermo, use a small, sharp bit to start your hole. Use a variable speed drill at a lower RPM as it helps to limit chipping. Once you have your pilot hole, use a step bit until you reach the diameter hole you need. Don't force the bit, let it do the work, again at a lower RPM.
Once the whole is drilled, I hit the exposed steel with a little high temp black spray paint. I also like to "cup" a couple of washers to match the arc of the WSM and put one inside and one outside and mount the thermo through them too.
YMMV.
Good luck
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 06:30:04 AM »
Drilling into a kettle is pretty easy. Just make sure you have a sharp bit. This thread is a good reference. weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/lid-therm-mod-for-kettle/
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »
New Guy 16,  You may want to consider simply feeding your temp probe (you DO have a Maverick ET-732 or 733 right) into one of the holes used to fasten the cooking grate straps in place.   The upside is that you get a hole already drilled, you get your temps where they matter ( about an 1inch above the cooking grate), and you don't need to buy a step bit or some such.
SJ

I second this motion. Especially with an older model. Not to mention, dome thermometers lie.
Still need a 22” yellow

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
Thermo through the vent rivet mod is another option.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 02:24:39 PM »
@swamprb Those side tables on the 22" are really cool. Care to share more about them?
Still need a 22” yellow

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 03:08:01 PM »
@swamprb Those side tables on the 22" are really cool. Care to share more about them?

@TheDude

A mod from a long long time ago! They are actually 18" WSM's, I'm not sure if the grate mounting distance is the same on the 22's, since I sold my 18's

Here are the specs

http://virtualweberbullet.com/worktable.html

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?27445-WSM-side-handles-side-table-mods
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:52:53 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 03:56:17 PM »
I just bought a used 18.5 WSM bit it's an older model that does not have a thermometer in the lid.  Is it fairly easy to install one?  I'm sure getting a pilot hole in the ceramic without making a mess is going to be tough.  I'd really like to try and install one if its not too difficult.  Anyone have any experience drilling into the ceramic coating?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I just need to buy some replacement grates and I'll be  "almost" new :)

If you want your therm mod to look OEM, here is how you do it...
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/lid-therm-mod-for-older-wsm/